WebPagetest Forums
Reduced image size with no apparent reduction - Printable Version

+- WebPagetest Forums (https://www.webpagetest.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Web Performance (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discuss Test Results (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Reduced image size with no apparent reduction (/showthread.php?tid=11056)

Reduced image size with no apparent reduction - robin - 04-27-2012 10:39 PM

I have a page with several large images. Reducing the size by more than half produces no reduction in time reported load the image. What could I be doing wrong?

RE: Reduced image size with no apparent reduction - pmeenan - 05-01-2012 08:37 AM

Any chance you have links to before/after tests? Make sure you run enough tests to get a consistent result (3+) but then looking at the waterfall will tell for sure, particularly if the images are not in the critical path.

RE: Reduced image size with no apparent reduction - p83822 - 05-03-2012 10:31 PM

Remember that download time is not linearly related to file size. What you are interested in is the number of tcp round trips - which will, of course, depend where the requests are in the tcp slow start cycle.

As a for instance, I have a 120kB background image which last time I measured it came down in the following numbers of packets on a new connection:

3, 5, 8, 12, 21, 37

i.e. 6 round trips. To get it down to 5 round trips i.e. only a 1/6 improvement, I would have to reduce the size by 37/88.