WebPagetest Forums
Best forum software from FEO point of view - Printable Version

+- WebPagetest Forums (https://www.webpagetest.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Web Performance (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Optimization Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Best forum software from FEO point of view (/showthread.php?tid=12345)

Best forum software from FEO point of view - lena - 06-17-2013 02:46 AM

Amongst the following five forum software:
  • bbPress
  • miniBB
  • phpBB
  • SMF
  • vBulletin

Do you know which one(s) is(are) the best concerning the following three metrics:

1. The avatars and [images] attachments are cache-able [or can be configured to be cache-able] and cache-ability can be delegated to Apache to use mod_expires;
  2. Likewise for the associated css and javascript files;
  3. The generated HTML documents have a cache-ability mechanism, for instance Last-Modified header.

RE: Best forum software from FEO point of view - GreenGecko - 06-17-2013 04:00 PM

I only know phpBB and vBulletin, and it's a draw... mainly because avatars/images are stored externally, as are css/js so their expiry is a function of the web server config.

Both these two also generate FE cache versions of their pages.

RE: Best forum software from FEO point of view - lena - 06-17-2013 07:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback, GreenGecko.

One last question though, if I'm not abusing of your help, do you know some good tutorials to optimize PHPbb or vBulletin?

RE: Best forum software from FEO point of view - GreenGecko - 06-20-2013 04:24 PM

(06-17-2013 07:18 PM)lena Wrote:  Thanks for the feedback, GreenGecko.

One last question though, if I'm not abusing of your help, do you know some good tutorials to optimize PHPbb or vBulletin?

I just treat them as any other app... my preference is to use a LEMP stack, ensure that the database has adequate memory allocated, and you use a decent opcode cacher like APC.

That's a good starting point. After that, monitor resources and feed accordingly

RE: Best forum software from FEO point of view - 5vlast - 06-26-2013 05:27 PM

PHPBB

RE: Best forum software from FEO point of view - lena - 06-30-2013 12:18 AM

Thank you all for the feedback.

One reason why I opened this thread is because I know that SMF snores with respect to image cache-ability, as only avatar images can be delegated to Apache.

On the other hand SMF has a very good optimizing tutorial, cf.:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=293441.0

Although PHPBB is allegedly better, I still haven't found any good optimizing tutorial.