WebPagetest Forums
Mobile Agents: Distributed testing across multiple identical devices? - Printable Version

+- WebPagetest Forums (https://www.webpagetest.org/forums)
+-- Forum: WebPagetest (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Mobile Agents: Distributed testing across multiple identical devices? (/showthread.php?tid=13060)

Mobile Agents: Distributed testing across multiple identical devices? - sidbala - 06-27-2014 07:44 AM

I have a private instance. There are several mobile agents set up - various android devices - one each of Nexus4, Nexus5, Nexus7, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5.

I am planning to use the "bulk testing" feature to schedule a bunch of URLs on all the devices.

If I setup multiple agents with identical devices - say 5 Nexus4 devices - when I bulk schedule say 100 URLs on Nexus4 on the WebUI, will the URLs get distributed over the 5 devices?

So for example, if I have 100 URLs to test on Nexus4, is the system smart enough schedule the first 20 URLs on Device 1, second 20 URLs on Device 2 and so on?

If so, what --location parameter I must use on these additional agents? Any locations.ini configuration settings need to be changed as well?

RE: Mobile Agents: Distributed testing across multiple identical devices? - sidbala - 06-28-2014 11:54 AM

Figured this one out. WPT is smart!

It is able to distribute the tasks sent to the same location across multiple devices of the same type.

RE: Mobile Agents: Distributed testing across multiple identical devices? - pmeenan - 07-01-2014 04:08 AM

Yes, as you noticed, any number of devices can pull from a single work queue (desktop and mobile). In the case of desktop an individual test can also be sharded across testers to return results faster (assuming you do more than 1 run).

The tests are queued up and the agents poll the server for work so the tests should be done roughly in round-robin across the devices and in the same order they were submitted.