WebPagetest Forums
Waterfall details empty because wptResult is empty - Printable Version

+- WebPagetest Forums (https://www.webpagetest.org/forums)
+-- Forum: WebPagetest (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Bugs/Issues (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Waterfall details empty because wptResult is empty (/showthread.php?tid=14596)



Waterfall details empty because wptResult is empty - shmilla - 11-15-2016 06:40 AM

So this is weird, testing a site, I found I could break the waterfall. Not sure why, but it appears variables in details.php get returned blank. No scripts, just a straight test through the GUI with default options, except private ,1 run, capture video

Public instance
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/161114_5E_1f0cc31f8e3b6e3f3a0e0c4fe4276361/1/details/#waterfall_view_step1
where the unexpected token is:
wptRequestData['step1']=;

Private instance, I see this on details.php
var wptRequestData=;

I'm on PC chrome, latest version, but various coworkers are using mac/chrome, likely latest version


RE: Waterfall details empty because wptResult is empty - pmeenan - 11-22-2016 12:19 AM

Are you still seeing issues? The waterfall looks to be loading OK for me now. Could be there were issues as the support for multi-step testing was being rolled out but I think I've fixed all of them (at least all I'm aware of).


RE: Waterfall details empty because wptResult is empty - shmilla - 11-22-2016 12:28 AM

Sorry Pat, I just tried another test and cleared my cache
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/161121_1F_ba489de2052be5137b21130d8c69233b/1/details/#waterfall_view_step1

When I click any of the requests in the waterfall, it refuses to show popup with details. I still see the TOKEN error.

Whatever populates that parameter seems to break the UI

Interestingly enough, if I do the test on another url, like http://www.ign.com, it works fine.
So there must be something with that Omaha link that's breaking WPT.


RE: Waterfall details empty because wptResult is empty - pmeenan - 11-22-2016 12:58 AM

Thanks for the details. Should be fixed now. There was some data in the response headers that wasn't being encoded to utf8 internally so it was choking when it came time to encode it as json. Should work now.


RE: Waterfall details empty because wptResult is empty - shmilla - 11-22-2016 01:12 AM

(11-22-2016 12:58 AM)pmeenan Wrote:  Thanks for the details. Should be fixed now. There was some data in the response headers that wasn't being encoded to utf8 internally so it was choking when it came time to encode it as json. Should work now.

It works! Thanks Pat! When would the code/build be available for download? We're on a slightly older build of webpagetest, and I'd like to get dev to plan for the update.

(Thanks again for fixing this so quickly)


RE: Waterfall details empty because wptResult is empty - shmilla - 11-22-2016 03:52 AM

My Ops team asked I also clarify if it's the agent or server that requires an update.


RE: Waterfall details empty because wptResult is empty - pmeenan - 11-22-2016 06:18 AM

It is the server (and it will retroactively fix previous tests not working). I am finishing up support for Microsoft Edge testing and should be done with it in a week or so at which point I'll cut a full new 3.0 release.

If you don't want to wait and I imagine updating the server is a little more heartburn than the agents, the change is trivial and can be patched into your current server: https://github.com/WPO-Foundation/webpagetest/commit/a5748ce382511011c0b76de6369695557e2529b2

Basically in common_lib.inc it needs a new function to convert something to UTF8 and in object_detail.inc it just needs to call the function to fix-up the requests data before returning it to the rest of the code.