WebPagetest Forums
How to test on more browser devices through the API - Printable Version

+- WebPagetest Forums (https://www.webpagetest.org/forums)
+-- Forum: WebPagetest (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Private Instances (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: How to test on more browser devices through the API (/showthread.php?tid=14621)

How to test on more browser devices through the API - Pearl - 11-29-2016 10:08 AM

Hi everyone,

I tried to test my webpage and get the results back through the public API but there are some limitations and I couldn't test on ipad, iphone and ... . I wanted to know if I can test those browsers and devices using the private instance or not and if the answer is yes, can I use my existing code for the public API or the test will be completely different through the private instance?

Thank you

RE: How to test on more browser devices through the API - pmeenan - 11-30-2016 12:03 AM

Yes though I'm not sure it is what you are expecting. When you run a private instance that means you are also deploying the test agents. To test iPad and iPhone that means you will need to deploy the physical devices and 2 Mac's (one for each each) to run the agent software.

Yes, you can re-use your code against a private instance. You just change the server it is talking to to point to your server and use whatever API key you configure (if any).

RE: How to test on more browser devices through the API - Pearl - 12-01-2016 06:41 AM

The only thing I need is to be able to run the test on some more browser/locations such as Dulles_iPadMini2.Cable and Dulles_Nexus5:Nexus 5 - Chrome.3GFast, is there a way you can manually assign me a key with full access?

RE: How to test on more browser devices through the API - pmeenan - 12-01-2016 11:13 PM

If you email me - pmeenan@webpagetest.org it might be possible but the single iPhone tends to be pretty busy which is why API testing isn't generally allowed on it (because you'd never get results back).