WebPagetest Forums
How would you test the dowloading of a file? - Printable Version

+- WebPagetest Forums (https://www.webpagetest.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Web Performance (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Testing Tools/Services (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: How would you test the dowloading of a file? (/showthread.php?tid=670)

How would you test the dowloading of a file? - gokninski - 04-12-2011 12:37 AM

Hello there,

Ok, so I have a PDF file which is about 8 -9 mb in size and I would like to test how long it takes to download it.

If I try and do it through WebPageTest, it times-out. Presumably because it is taking more than a minute to download.

Is there another way I could achieve this? Is there an advanced setting that I am not aware of?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

RE: How would you test the dowloading of a file? - pmeenan - 04-12-2011 12:54 AM

No, it's not really what WebPagetest was designed to test which is probably why you are seeing issues. You can try an 8-9MB image file and time that if you'd like but file downloads or (probably) even pdf files will probably get aborted because they don't load in the browser's renderer.

RE: How would you test the dowloading of a file? - gokninski - 04-12-2011 01:03 AM

Ok thanks Patrick! Will try that and let you know how I get on.

RE: How would you test the dowloading of a file? - gokninski - 04-12-2011 02:27 AM

Just to come back to you -

I was able to run the test a bit more successfully using images but it seems that WebPageTest times out after 60 seconds of trying to download any one resource - which of course makes perfect sense.

Its ok though, I got what I wanted out of using images to perform the test.

Thanks again!