Current time: 01-25-2021, 12:00 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optimizing for first paint
04-20-2014, 03:24 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2014 03:37 AM by Anton Chigurh.)
RE: Optimizing for first paint
(04-20-2014 03:20 AM)datadiggers Wrote:  Thanks for tipsSmile However I really just wanted to discuss why browser is waiting so long to do first paint and how it can be optimized. I have a feeling that there is still room for an improvement, even without 'over optimizing' things and making them overly complicated. I would like to cut another 300-400 ms from first paint event.
Trying the basic optimization techniques posted thus far might just improve that, and can certainly do no harm at all. It's just a little bit of extra effort.

There is NO such thing as "over optimizing." Taking 200kb or more of unnecessary bandwidth off each pageload is the payoff, improvement of first paint if it results, is a bonus.

That's 200kb-plus each pageload, times what? A thousand? A million, over time? That's alot of bandwidth and alot of saved load time.

Trim what little unnecessary bloat you have, then see what happens to first paint time.

(04-20-2014 03:20 AM)datadiggers Wrote:  Fonts - they are loaded dynamically so that's not that big of an issue
That's not relevant, they are still representing over 3 percent of your bandwidth, 3 percent of your kb load, and add time. And 3 percent is right at what you're looking for, in improvement of first paint time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Optimizing for first paint - datadiggers - 04-19-2014, 09:35 AM
RE: Optimizing for first paint - Anton Chigurh - 04-20-2014 03:24 AM