MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occured. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
split css file to improve perceived latency?
Current time: 02-28-2020, 01:53 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Split CSS file into 2 downloads or not?
Split it!
Don't split
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
08-15-2010, 12:13 AM
For some unknown reason, the css file im working with is about 97 KB (un gzipped) ... I know thats horrible coding and will be completely redone later on...

For now, Im curious if i split the css file into 2 smaller chunks, will it improve the start of rendering? As what I understand, the browser wont start rendering the page until all the CSS is downloaded... so 2 files would be downloaded in parallel? If i combine this with domain sharding, this should result in faster output i guess...

For the final phase (includes rewrite of the css) my plan is to use 2 css files on all pages... one would be the base stylesheet which contains elements used on almost all pages and another stylesheet containing elements specific to the type of page (homepage, product page, listing, cart, account, etc, whatever).... and using preloading to make the second page visited to be almost instant.

What do you think? Bundle everything into one css or split it?

cdnplanet.com: We help you select the right CDN
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
split css file to improve perceived latency? - sajal - 08-15-2010 12:13 AM