Current time: 11-19-2019, 05:11 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Should the dulles testers be moved to EC2?
Yeah, that looks awesome, go for it!
Hard to say until I get more information and see how big the impact will be.
Please don't, I rely on trending the results over time and any change will destroy my use.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Move Dulles testing to EC2?
11-03-2010, 05:15 AM
RE: Move Dulles testing to EC2?
Thanks. The ads are doing a good job at offsetting the costs (with some headroom) so I don't think it will be a big deal to cut over. One thing I'm looking at doing is adding support for spinning up instances as needed so some of the less-used configurations stay powered down when they are not being used (and more instances get spun up to handle big bulk requests).

The one I'm having troubles justifying so far would be to move to S3 for archiving the test results. I need to do some modeling to see how expensive it would be but it would be nice to have the raw results archived to S3 where I'll be a little more sure about the reliability (right now it's all on Dreamhost's SAN and hopefully backed up :-) ). Last I checked it was around 700GB of data though. My intent is still to keep all test results for ever but you might see something where authenticated user's test data gets archived to S3 as well for more reliable storage or something like that (or everything but the screen shots gets archived since it's nicely compressible).

Thanks,

-Pat
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Move Dulles testing to EC2? - pmeenan - 10-29-2010, 03:57 AM
RE: Move Dulles testing to EC2? - sajal - 10-29-2010, 08:03 AM
RE: Move Dulles testing to EC2? - pmeenan - 10-29-2010, 08:08 AM
RE: Move Dulles testing to EC2? - pmeenan - 10-29-2010, 08:13 AM
RE: Move Dulles testing to EC2? - jklein - 11-03-2010, 04:44 AM
RE: Move Dulles testing to EC2? - pmeenan - 11-03-2010 05:15 AM