Current time: 12-16-2017, 03:50 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
All help greatly appreciated in interpreting
06-02-2012, 02:15 AM
RE: All help greatly appreciated in interpreting
(06-01-2012 03:17 AM)chrisn Wrote:  We've got what I think is a pretty mega back-end.

We're running a virtual set-up on a private cloud - with a physical capacity of 48 cores and 384 GB RAM. 4 x 128GB SSDs in Raid 10 for the DB. The virtual layout includes 8 webservers, a couple of varnish servers, a couple of memcache servers, plus one master and two slave DB's and we devolve search to Solr. We've had the guys from Percona fine tune the DB's and queries.

We're doing a bit more work on Memcache and Varnish optimisation, but feeling we're likely to yield more from front end optimisation now.

Have you tried running NewRelic or Dynatrace on your backend? At your scale it's probably something you want to leave running all the time (rather than just for a quick trial) but it will tell you where your hotspots are for the backend (specific database calls, etc).

It does sound like a well though-out back-end (a little surprised the times are not better).

I'll take another look at the front-end (particularly repeat view) in a minute.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2012, 02:52 AM
Never mind, just noticed the newrelic beacons on the page :-).

Looking at the repeat view of the test you ran, 1.5 seconds is extremely long for the base page - does your server-side instrumentation show that calls are taking that long? That base-page time is going to drive a lot of user experience/feedback in a forum situation where they will be clicking around a lot.

Looking at the filmstrip view for repeat view there are a couple of interesting things to look at: http://www.webpagetest.org/video/compare...00&end=all

If you scroll the filmstrip, a red line will track in the waterfall with the left edge of the filmstrip window (time-wise) so you can see what is blocking the UI and when certain events happen.

- The top part of the page loads pretty quickly after the HTML comes back

- The actual posts are blocked by the ads (at least one of them) and show up at 3.1 seconds. If you can get your ads to load asynchronously then they won't block the display of the content (adsense and doubleclick will both load async but I didn't dig too deep to see what you're doing yet). Looking at the code, it looks like it's probably the ADVERTPRO ad blocks that use inline document.write's to write script tags

- The ad loading triggers the widgets UI to show which reflows the page. If you set up the main part of the page to have the correct initial width that could be avoided (not sure how easy it is to do with what you have).

Some other notes:

- I don't see evidence of it causing a problem in the repeat view waterfall but it looks like you have some IE conditional comments in the HTML after some external resources are loaded. This can cause blocking behavior in IE and it can be worked around by putting an empty conditional comment before any resources are loaded (like at the top of the head): http://www.phpied.com/conditional-commen...downloads/

- You have some inline javascript sandwiched inbetween other resources. This can also trigger blocking behavior inside of IE. It looks like they are all tags and independent of the external js so if you could you should either move them before all of the external resources or move them lower: http://blog.patrickmeenan.com/2010/06/av...dwich.html
06-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks Patrick. That's really great. I'm going to be offline for a few days now for the Queen's Jubilee antics but will properly digest and come back to you next week. Just wanted to say thanks and let you know I've seen your response for now. Much appreciated
Find all posts by this user
06-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Hi Chris.

The way I attacked vB performance was to first remove all unnecessary forum features (but this is not something everyone may be open to doing). Looking at your site I'd suggest to consider if it is necessary to have the right-column widgets (Discussions, Article Updates), the "What's Going On" module on the bottom of the home page, the "Display Options" and the "Moderators" modules on the bottom of forums, is it necessary to show how many "Views" each thread has had, gender, reputation, country flag? And I would even remove the "Previous Thread" and "Next Thread" links from the threads bottom, as I think people don't really use it.

I'd look into reducing the number of requests. The test link you shared showed 136 requests for the page. Here's a list of the images found on that page:
http://www.webpagetest.org/pageimages.ph...1&cached=0
(The flags_sprite.png alone is 106kb)

On my forum I removed ALL vBulletin images. The orange reply/post/quote/tools/go buttons could be replaced with html. Every little bit helps.

My philosophy is that people come to forums for content, and all the pretty stuff like images and unneeded features are just a distraction.

Just my 2c

:-)

P.S. My vBulletin forum can be viewed at laptopgpsworld [dot] com. I recently changed my pagination settings so that forums contain 200(!) instead of the default 25 threads per page, and threads may go up to 100 posts before the page splits, but it still seems to have OK load speed. Members see a slightly different version than guests.

Marvin
06-06-2012, 03:24 AM
(06-02-2012 02:52 AM)pmeenan Wrote:  Looking at the filmstrip view for repeat view there are a couple of interesting things to look at: http://www.webpagetest.org/video/compare...00&end=all

It's a great view this, but I can't work out how to reach it from my own webpagetest results...how do you navigate to it from test results please?
06-07-2012, 12:25 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2012 12:29 AM by chrisn.)
(06-06-2012 03:24 AM)chrisn Wrote:  It's a great view this, but I can't work out how to reach it from my own webpagetest results...how do you navigate to it from test results please?

Found it... Need to tick the right setting before submitting the test...Advanced Settings>Video>Capture Video and then it's obvious in the results (for anyone else who cant see its benefit).

I'm finding it the best view to start from this one personally.

(06-02-2012 10:29 PM)Marvin Wrote:  Hi Chris.

The way I attacked vB performance was to first remove all unnecessary forum features (but this is not something everyone may be open to doing). Looking at your site I'd suggest to consider if it is necessary to have the right-column widgets (Discussions, Article Updates), the "What's Going On" module on the bottom of the home page, the "Display Options" and the "Moderators" modules on the bottom of forums, is it necessary to show how many "Views" each thread has had, gender, reputation, country flag? And I would even remove the "Previous Thread" and "Next Thread" links from the threads bottom, as I think people don't really use it.

I'd look into reducing the number of requests. The test link you shared showed 136 requests for the page. Here's a list of the images found on that page:
http://www.webpagetest.org/pageimages.ph...1&cached=0
(The flags_sprite.png alone is 106kb)

On my forum I removed ALL vBulletin images. The orange reply/post/quote/tools/go buttons could be replaced with html. Every little bit helps.

My philosophy is that people come to forums for content, and all the pretty stuff like images and unneeded features are just a distraction.

Just my 2c

:-)

P.S. My vBulletin forum can be viewed at laptopgpsworld [dot] com. I recently changed my pagination settings so that forums contain 200(!) instead of the default 25 threads per page, and threads may go up to 100 posts before the page splits, but it still seems to have OK load speed. Members see a slightly different version than guests.

Great. Thanks Marvin. We are looking to see how we can strip things down. Not sure we'll get away with going quite as far as you have managed, but it's certainly a good gauntlet to lay down to focus the mind! Thanks Smile
06-07-2012, 03:28 AM
Sorry, meant to reply sooner (did a day trip to California - I'm too old for that anymore). I'm considering making video capture on by default and including the filmstrip UI in the normal test result UI just because it is so useful. I just need to experiment with it a bit to make sure the storage requirements don't explode.
06-14-2012, 09:06 PM
(06-02-2012 02:52 AM)pmeenan Wrote:  - The ad loading triggers the widgets UI to show which reflows the page. If you set up the main part of the page to have the correct initial width that could be avoided (not sure how easy it is to do with what you have).

Please could you clarify where you are seeing this Patrick. It feels important, but we cant see it ourselves. Thanks
06-15-2012, 01:23 AM
If you go to the filmstrip view: http://www.webpagetest.org/video/compare...00&end=all

Then scroll the filmstrip until the post content is the first frame displayed (4.1s), the Red vertical line will indicate the same time marker in the waterfall so you can see what it looks like blocked the content from displaying.

At the time it looked like it was blocked on the ads php calls but that was for a different run. It looks like there is some code in that area of the page but it's hard to tell right now since it looks like the structure of the code changed from when the test was initially run.