Current time: 12-16-2017, 08:44 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to test performance on a test server
09-28-2012, 08:53 AM
How to test performance on a test server
Hi,

I have a few websites that I want to do performance optimization on. The only problem is that I know that I am likely to break parts of the site during the optimization. How could I set up a test server to do the optimization on, that would also allow me to see the benefits of implementing solutions such as domain sharding, CDN, serving static content without cookies, Using Cloudflare's Async JS loader etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Jack
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2012, 10:08 PM
RE: How to test performance on a test server
You would need to set up another domain on your server (staging.mysite.com for example), clone your content to the new site, make sure robots are blocked (robots.txt) and then do your optimizations on the parallel site. How you do that is going to depend on your hosting provider.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-29-2012, 12:26 AM
OK, thanks.

I was thinking of using a 512MB linode.com VPS as a test/development server.

Would it be just as easy to buy a new domain for every site I want to test and then follow the steps you mentioned?

Thanks,

Jack
09-29-2012, 07:22 AM
(09-28-2012 08:53 AM)JackC Wrote:  Hi,

I have a few websites that I want to do performance optimization on. The only problem is that I know that I am likely to break parts of the site during the optimization. How could I set up a test server to do the optimization on, that would also allow me to see the benefits of implementing solutions such as domain sharding, CDN, serving static content without cookies, Using Cloudflare's Async JS loader etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

If the domain is added to CloudFlare, you could also just make sure the record is orange clouded (CloudFlare on for that record) or gray clouded (CloudFlare off for that record).

"Using Cloudflare's Async JS loader"
Just a quick note that this feature can most certainly break some JavaScript and jQuery, so you should turn it off if you see issues.
10-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Great! Thanks.