Current time: 10-30-2014, 11:38 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Private CDN
01-10-2013, 04:43 AM
Question Private CDN
Hi,

My site has bad CDN rating because I use one that is not on the approved list.
Would you consider adding an option for a user string to specify private CDNs?
This way, a developer could see improvements while implementing proper separation between dynamic and static site content.

I suggest adding a new pane in the advanced settings for user specified CDNs.

Thanks,

Yves
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 12:47 AM
RE: Private CDN
It's not so much an "approved" list as it is a list of CDN's that we know about. Is the CDN you are using a public CDN offering or is it really private (i.e. you have your own gslb and servers across the world)?

One thing I'm considering is having the CDN list as a config setting on the server so you could tweak it for private installs but I prefer not to make it configurable at test time, at least without thinking through how to present the fact that a custom list was used.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the answer.

(01-12-2013 12:47 AM)pmeenan Wrote:  It's not so much an "approved" list as it is a list of CDN's that we know about. Is the CDN you are using a public CDN offering or is it really private (i.e. you have your own gslb and servers across the world)?
Currently the CDN is completely private and not global. I may reconsider in the future but currently the users are all in the province of Quebec.
Quote:One thing I'm considering is having the CDN list as a config setting on the server so you could tweak it for private installs but I prefer not to make it configurable at test time, at least without thinking through how to present the fact that a custom list was used.
I see your point. What I am trying to achieve is a way to point at the real problems. Most of the files are pulled from the CDN, but a few aren't.

Yves
08-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Hi,

any news on the CDN config file for private instances? Or is there a workaround available in the meantime?

br

accid
08-24-2013, 08:05 AM
No, I haven't worked on it but the project is on github and I'd be happy to take a pull request if you want to take a crack at it. Otherwise it's going to be a while before I even think about it - there hasn't been a lot of demand for it.
11-14-2013, 02:00 AM
(08-24-2013 08:05 AM)pmeenan Wrote:  No, I haven't worked on it but the project is on github and I'd be happy to take a pull request if you want to take a crack at it. Otherwise it's going to be a while before I even think about it - there hasn't been a lot of demand for it.

+1 here. Would love something in my settings/profile to define a list of cdns we use so management stops asking why we're failing CDN tests Smile
11-19-2013, 01:10 AM
Are you using actual CDN's? If so and WPT is missing them, just send me some sample tests as well as the CDN that is being missed and I will fix the detection. If you don't use a CDN and management still asks then it's worth explaining to them why a CDN doesn't make sense (assuming that's the case) for your specific case. Sometimes it makes sense NOT to use a CDN (mostly when you are serving a small geographic area or if the static content is very long-tail).
11-19-2013, 02:54 AM
In our case, our CDN is AWS S3 and/or CloudFront. They're served from static.ourwebsiteurl.com and media.ourwebsiteurl.com.
11-19-2013, 03:01 AM
S3 isn't a CDN but cloudfront should be correctly detected, even when CNAME'd to your own domain.