Current time: 09-16-2019, 02:17 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Revisiting browser and connectivity defaults
03-15-2013, 10:56 AM
RE: Revisiting browser and connectivity defaults
The Akamai data and other data I have seen are as-measured so it's safe to assume that's actual thruput and not just advertised or subscribed speeds. I'm less confident in the Netflix data (Google Fiber is 3Mbps, seriously?) I think they are limited somewhat by the bitrate of the encoded movies depending on how they measure or there's congestion somewhere else.

The bulk of the users doing testing are from the US and Europe and I can use different browser defaults by location and tune them for the different regions but the Dulles default is the main one I want to make as neutral as possible since the vast majority of users just drop in an URL and hit test.

IE 9 will probably be the most seamless change since it uses the same agent code as IE 8 and there are no missing features (like the PageSpeed score being missing for Chrome for example). There's a chance I'll have to re-visit it again in a couple of months but Chrome and Firefox change on their own every 6 weeks so it's still not that bad.

The more data I look at the more comfortable I get with switching to the 5Mbps cable profile as well though I still worry for the sites that do no testing at lower bandwidths and shove 4+MB of data down to users on each page view. I don't think that necessarily outweighs getting people to optimize for more modern browsers though so maybe there are other things I can do to alert them of that kind of issue.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Revisiting browser and connectivity defaults - pmeenan - 03-15-2013 10:56 AM