Current time: 12-17-2017, 04:22 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
browser dropdown issue in private instance
08-13-2011, 07:15 AM
RE: browser dropdown issue in private instance
I have the same issue with my private 2.3 instance. I applied a quick fix for now: just made two different test locations--IE is default in one, Chrome in the other. Though ideally there should be one test location because I'm using the the same host for both agents, and give you the option for IE and Chrome under the browsers drop-down. Can you confirm that this is a bug in 2.3?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2011, 07:39 AM
Issue with the dropdown (at least in my case) is with the following portion of the function FilterLocations function defined in common.inc

This was newly added to the function for the 2.3 release.

// next pass, filter browsers if we were asked to
if( isset($stripBrowser) )
{
foreach( $locations as $name => &$loc )
{
if( isset($loc['browser']) )
{
$remove = false;
foreach( $stripBrowser as $browser )
{
if( stripos($loc['browser'], $browser) !== false )
{
$remove = true;
break;
}
}

if( $remove )
unset($locations[$name]);
}
else
{
// strip the browsers from the label
foreach( $stripBrowser as $browser )
$loc['label'] = preg_replace("/[, -]*$browser/i", '', $loc['label']);
}
}
}

I have removed this from my common.inc file for the time being while I continue to try to resolve this issue.

Thanks
08-26-2011, 10:31 PM
I know I have tweaked that logic after the 2.3 release but it shouldn't be triggered during the normal code path (well the $stripBrowser part anyway). The $remove block is probably what is causing it to work because the locations aren't being removed when you kill that part of the code but the flag is probably being set elsewhere.

One of the things WPT does is it hides any locations that haven't connected to the server recently (last 30-60 minutes I think). If the tracking of the last connect times isn't working then it could explain the issue (they are stored in temp/<location>.tm) and it usually uses the last modified time of the file itself.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-26-2011, 11:00 PM
I should have some time this weekend to further test and determine which part of the block is causing my issues.

Based on what you are saying about the normal code path it very well may be the $remove portion of the function. I had already verified that the .tm files were being updated...that being said I will definitely look at it more closely.

Will definitely report back once I have tested a little more.

Thanks again for the help.
08-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Same issue here: 5 locations, each one with IE 6-9 + Chrome (4 VMs each, where each VM has IE x + Chrome, so 4 Chrome per location), for the very last location the very last browser (Chrome) it was missing even confirming it was up and running from /getTesters.php.
After some debugging (WPT PI 2.3) I noticed the following snippet was reusing a variable previously defined by reference inside a foreach loop on common.inc:

line 740:
foreach( $locations as $name => $loc )

But $loc was already defined by reference (&$loc) at line 713 causing the very last location browser to be replaced by IE9.

The solution was renaming $loc to $loc2 at lines 740, 744, 752, 763 (2X), 768 (2X) and 769
08-31-2011, 10:05 AM
Hmm, thanks - this is why I hate languages that don't have a compiler and let you do all sorts of crazy things Undecided

Not sure why it works sometimes but not others (and how it would work on the live system) but I'll get it patched up for the 2.4 release. Thanks for digging in to it.

Hopefully we'll have 2.4 in a couple of weeks with the Firefox support (and a bunch of improvements to the Chrome support).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-31-2011, 11:11 PM
Nicely done!