Current time: 05-30-2020, 06:45 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In-Lining CSS on First Page View
08-03-2015, 05:49 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 07:54 AM by ajm_76.)
RE: In-Lining CSS on First Page View
(08-01-2015 08:00 AM)mikefoskett Wrote:  Hi,

I'm curious as to what performance degradation occurs above 50kb of HTML with inlined assets?

Mike

Hi Mike,

There are a lot of caveats to any answer that might be given to your question, so for the sake of clarity I'm going to omit some things and simplify others (hopefully not overly so).

On mobile, you actually run into RTT obstacles right around 14KB. But, we've found, that at around 20KB (50 KB for desktop) is when actual performance degrades for critical metrics such as first paint/start render and above-the-fold visual completion/time to interactivity.

Further on mobile, anything above 20KB really begins to grind down page-to-page navigation, the testing for which can't be done with (as far as I know) any online tool. That said, this page-to-page navigation issue is pretty easy to mitigate with cache warming and PJAX.

Ideally, you really should inline critical assets and keep them as lean as possible for the quickest render across the widest range of scenarios and devices.

Best,
AJ
Managing Partner
WpFASTER | WordPress Optimization

Make your WordPress website or blog not just faster & not merely fast, but one of the fastest sites in the ENTIRE WORLD.

Performance. Speed. Get Some. WpFASTER!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: In-Lining CSS on First Page View - ajm_76 - 08-03-2015 05:49 AM