Current time: 12-09-2019, 06:59 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Byte Time “FBT” findings and research results
08-05-2015, 07:21 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 07:29 AM by GreenGecko.)
RE: First Byte Time “FBT” findings and research results
OK, I look at a waterfall of a website, and the x axis is time. Are we all agreed on that???

So how does the delivery of a static resource *after* completion of the delivery of the HTML framework directly affect it's delivery without the use of a Tardis?

As Patrick says, it is possible to indirectly affect it, either by weird processing or bandwidth constraints ( possibly?? ), but these are predominantly infrastructure resource/configuration/design problems, and need to be addressed as such. Banging on blindly about content won't make them go away, you need to monitor, analyse and address them.

Whilst is is possible that adaptive network traffic techniques may throttle a large page, the HTML header only contains the size of the page, which only contains pointers to other content. If you're commenting on these things Anton, you really should have a grasp of the basics...

I still contend that CloudFlare is a primarily a proxy server. It takes over your DNS, and redirects ALL traffic via its network ( which as I've also said before *still* runs on the same old internet as the rest of us *at the moment* ! ), not just static content. As such, any request for dynamic content will need to be proxied back to the original server before delivery, or served out of date ( which of course can't happen as Bill Smith will get Fred Blogg's content </massive oversimplification> ).

Maybe I'm a traditionalist, as I see no point in using CDNs for anything other than static content, to relieve the bandwidth resources on the primary server, leaving it more able to deliver the page HTML *directly* to the browser. CF is a simple implementation for non-technical users which does far more than just that.

Personally, because I work primarily with eCommerce solutions, I *have* to work with TTFB optimisations, as every tenth counts. Because of this, I shudder at the use of proxy server solutions, but make heavy use of CDNs. I also take great care in the placement of servers close to the target audience.

( Let's see you get close to http://www.webpagetest.org/result/150804_RV_1D06/ with CloudFlare - the catalog display page is traditionally the slowest page on a magento site - this is the standard sample data provided by Magento so don't comment on the image size please! It's running on a cheap blade server in Sydney, load average: 1.84, 1.41, 1.31 as is the 'CDN' - just cookie-free access to the same server. Alternatively my homepage - drupal on the same server - http://www.webpagetest.org/result/150804_JA_1D6K/ ).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: First Byte Time “FBT” findings and research results - GreenGecko - 08-05-2015 07:21 AM