Current time: 01-21-2021, 01:20 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Understanding my results: slow load times
01-06-2016, 03:35 AM
RE: Understanding my results: slow load times
You may want to consider installing some RUM performance tracking like SOASTA's mPulse (free) which will give you more visibility into the timing from users visiting the site. From the looks of the 2 tests you provided, I'm guessing that there is a lot of variability in the back-end timing (FBT) and when it is really slow that is causing the really slow times that people are reporting.

Clicking around a bit I regularly see 2-3 second delays in getting the base page back and that's making it feel excruciatingly slow, even on a fast connection. Going into the blog was on the order of 20-30 seconds.

After hitting one of the pages, running tests against it were somewhat faster which looks exactly like a slow database (first visit triggered the queries to get cached so subsequent visits were less painful). Since he is doing the hosting, fixing that is 100% in his hands. Simply throwing the database onto a SSD instead of slower disks would solve most of the issue.

It also looks like the platform he put together for you isn't automatically resizing images so you have some absolutely enormous images (camera resolution) showing up in the summary pages: http://www.webpagetest.org/pageimages.ph...1&cached=0

I'm assuming he also built or at least deployed the wordpress theme for you. If so then automatically resizing the images to an appropriate size is also his responsibility. There are plugins that can help but from a quick search it also looks like the theme can specify it explicitly: http://www.buckleupstudios.com/blog/auto...necessary/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Understanding my results: slow load times - pmeenan - 01-06-2016 03:35 AM