Current time: 12-13-2017, 01:38 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with --shaper netem and --rndis
06-21-2017, 07:48 PM
Help with --shaper netem and --rndis
Hi,

I am new to this reverse tethering with Android, so I would like to know if someone could get me some pointers on it.

I have a PC with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, a private instance of WebPageTests installed, and the latest version of wptagent (Python implementation) running. I am able to connect to the phone just fine and run a simple test.

I would like to make use of this --netem and --rndis options, but I do not know whether I need to set up something on my computer and how. My phone is of course rooted and running Android 5.0.1.

Any... ANY help is really appreciated.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2017, 01:11 AM
RE: Help with --shaper netem and --rndis
The easiest tethering is using --simplert. You mostly just need to install the apk:

adb install wptagent/simplert/simple-rt-1.1.apk

You shouldn't have to do anything special on the Linux machine but it will mess with the ipfw rules and forward tun0 traffic to your ethernet interface. It also will shape all of the traffic in and out of the PC connected to the phone (which may suck if it is also the web server).

Once the agent starts, the phone will get a prompt about a USB accessory. Check the always box and hit OK and it should take over from there.

FWIW, I like running the phones each with their own Raspberry Pi to do the tethering. That way there's nothing else that can be impacted by the networking changes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply