Current time: 12-13-2017, 11:13 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Opening wiki
05-17-2010, 05:23 AM
Opening wiki
Pat,

It's great to see that you use MediaWiki for documentation:
http://www.webpagetest.org/docs/Main_Page

Now, I noticed that Frankfurt value was not in the spec for locations here:
http://www.webpagetest.org/docs/Automati..._Locations

Wanted to add it, but realized that I don't have permissions to register.

I'm running quite a few wiki-based projects and can tell for sure that opening only helps even though it comes at some community management price (enabling the technology, guarding against spam, managing policies).

I always open my wikis and help some other projects to maintain their communities. Will be happy to help you with yours if you're interested.

P.S. don't know if this is the right forum to post - couldn't find community building / web site issues forum Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2010, 06:13 AM
RE: Opening wiki
Sorry, the wiki is still a work in progress which is why the registration hasn't been shaken out yet. Once it's in a little better shape I am going to be exposing it with it's own tab as well as linking to it for a bunch of things on the test results (like how to fix different issues). The plan is to have it be semi-open where I authorize other people to edit it but probably not completely open - I don't have the time to battle the spammers.

I added the Frankfurt and China locations (as well as some experimental Dulles ones I'm working with). I need to add some docs for the customizable bandwidth and how to select different profiles through the API (for the pre-defined ones you can do things like UK.FIOS and UK.DSL but I need to document the pre-defined profiles as well as the parameters for arbitrary profiles).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Fighting spam takes much less time and can be outsourced to technology (ReCaptcha extension and other community members like me (assigning Sysops for patrolling through Recent changes). It's much easier then you expect Wink

On the other hand, not a single wiki is ever final and no documentation ever is - first page is always enough to start and you clearly have more then that already Wink

I think that having recommendations and description pages on test results is a great thing and I was thinking about creating ones for all metrics ShowSlow tracks and doing it exactly using Wiki. Maybe it's worth combining the effort - by no means it's going to be an easy task with limited amount of people.
05-17-2010, 08:42 AM
If you're interested in centralizing I just registered "WebPerformanceCentral.com/net/org" and can see about standing up an open wiki there (and moving my docs there). I'd be willing to host an unbranded, centralized repository of web performance information (no ads as well).

I can get it started and give you (and potentially a few other key people) shell/admin access and we can start trying to get it doing.

My thinking would be to start with just a wiki but structure it so we could do a discussion group and other non-wiki offerings later if it made sense.

Thoughts?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Sounds great, let's do!

I'll move some content from http://www.nywebperformance.org/