Current time: 12-11-2017, 11:18 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: What would you like to see implemented next?
Compare multiple tests against each other
Zoom in on waterfall
Simpler optimization results
Custom Headers and Cookies
Commenting on tests
Add more optimization checks
Improve the documentation
Something else (comment below)
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you want to see next?
06-14-2010, 03:58 AM
RE: What do you want to see next?
Hey Patrick,

I am looking at the differences and similarities between the first view and the cached version of this test:

http://www.webpagetest.org/result/100613_3XS/1/details/
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/100613...ls/cached/

Notice how there is a huge gap after the document complete event on the cached version. One thing I have always wondered about (and I am sure others have as well) is what goes on during that period and how do I fix it?

I am sure cached requests occur during that period. Is there anyway you could visually show cached results perhaps in a different color? I think there needs to be a way to help people understand what goes on during those periods with huge gaps.

Sincerely,
Travis Walters
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2010, 04:44 AM
Yep, I had started the work on it, just need to finish it off and figure out how to display it so it doesn't confuse people. Might make them a faint yellow or something like that so it's clear when you're just looking at the waterfall.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-14-2010, 07:30 AM
The yellow might confuse people with 3xx result.

Perhaps some sort of magenta?
06-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Hey Patrick,

Another thing that would be really useful (but I am not sure it would be possible at least easily) is some sort of JavaScript Analyzer that could go through all JavaScript code for a webpage and do some or all of the following:

1) Specify Unused Functions and Variables
2) Create a JavaScript File with all Used Functions

I think firebug does the first item to an extent. It would be nice to take that a bit further and create something that would do step the second item.

This would be great for getting exactly what you need out of third party JavaScript libraries.

Sincerely,
Travis Walters
06-14-2010, 10:08 PM
That may be a little more difficult than it may even appear (to the point that I'm not sure you'd ever want to trust something that did). The difficulty comes in figuring out if you got 100% of the possible code paths to execute before you go peeling away code and it's unlikely that you'll get that coverage with something like WebPagetest.

I do want to see about adding code coverage and profiling at some point but that will probably be a ways out still.
06-15-2010, 07:07 AM
I would like to be able to automate the entire process. So that i can set the time and page i would like tested and it would check it daily and output the test results into a csv or similar type of file.
06-15-2010, 07:49 AM
How many pages?

It's pretty high on the list to implement recurring scheduled testing but mostly for the private install version. I'll probably enable it on the public version for a handfull of urls for "approved" registered members but need to be a little careful to protect the testing capacity.
06-15-2010, 11:13 PM
(06-15-2010 07:49 AM)pmeenan Wrote:  How many pages?

It's pretty high on the list to implement recurring scheduled testing but mostly for the private install version. I'll probably enable it on the public version for a handfull of urls for "approved" registered members but need to be a little careful to protect the testing capacity.
maybe 10 domain names or so
06-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Hi Pat

I use Connection rather than Waterfall view almost exclusively. For me it's a really standout feature.

Might we have this as the graph under the Video, please?

Also, could it be the first graph on the Details tab, not the second?

Guess it's a consensus thing, of course.

BR

N
06-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Actually, I could make it selectable by preference so you won't have to get consensus. I am pretty swamped for the next few weeks but should be able to take a look at it after I get clear. It would be tied to your forum login (been wanting to add more capabilities for "registered" users anyway).

I prefer the cascade view for my day-to-day because it's easy for me to see where a site needs to focus, even from a thumbnail but the connection view is helpful for the implementation details (could be a difference between shallowly looking at a ton of sites vs. looking deeper at a few).

Thanks,

-Pat