Current time: 12-14-2017, 11:09 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
< 0.5s load time (showing off)
06-29-2010, 05:28 AM
< 0.5s load time (showing off)
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/100628...811fd1dc9/

Smile

Well... it should be mentioned that :-
1) i have a very very very simple homepage
2) Test was done on a FIOS connection
3) The homepage is NOT an important landing page...

cdnplanet.com: We help you select the right CDN
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-29-2010, 06:18 AM
RE: < 0.5s load time (showing off)
Could possibly get faster if the quant.js file loaded asynchronously or after the onload event.

It would be neat if Patrick had some sort of competition sometime.

Could have the same page given to people that enter the contest. Would have to keep test results private until the end of the competition.

Now that would be fun Smile
Find all posts by this user
06-29-2010, 06:30 AM
I actually have a framework together for a competition but probably not the kind you're looking for :-) We used it for some internal training and I'm trying to get it together for a public version. Essentially the way it works is like this:

- Everyone gets the same starting page to optimize
- Each user (or team) has a login to http://compete.webpagetest.org/ (results from the internal competition are there right now)
- On the competition site you can upload a new version of the page and it will automatically kick off a performance test and update the leaderboard
- For a given team it will keep archives of each iteration available as well as the performance of each package
- The test destination has 10 sharded CDN paths available
- At least as of right now it is set up to only allow static html and files (allowing php execution was too risky but I may see if I can find a good way to sandbox each site)
- The rules were that the site had to maintain all of the functionality of the existing site (so there was some level of judging in addition to the raw performance numbers)

I thought it would be fun to do but eventually it might be a good way for someone to get their site optimized. They provide the page as well as a prize and teams compete to provide the fastest version of the site.

Too much going on right now though so I haven't had time to polish it up for a public competition.
06-29-2010, 06:36 AM
(06-29-2010 06:18 AM)green-watch.org Wrote:  Could possibly get faster if the quant.js file loaded asynchronously or after the onload event.

It would be neat if Patrick had some sort of competition sometime.

Could have the same page given to people that enter the contest. Would have to keep test results private until the end of the competition.

Now that would be fun Smile

thanks for the tip about quant.js ... few months ago when i checked i believe they had the nasty document.write (unsure).... but thats not the case anymore... will move it to after onload. i should also differ the http://www.google.com/coop/cse/brand?for...ox&lang=en cause all it does is change the styling of the google CSE search box.

+1 for competition... sounds fun... but there needs to be some clear guidelines about the page being optimized.... and what should be on it.... maybe giving a sample page with many things on it... and everyone optimizing that same page.... Im sure lots of new ideas can come out of it.

06-29-2010, 06:37 AM
Right, check line #1 in the rules - Everyone gets the EXACT same page to optimize :-)
06-29-2010, 06:40 AM
A competition sure would drive some traffic to your website if it was properly advertised especially if there was a nice prize.

Prize wise, a lot of coders might participate if it was something as simple as a random banner with their company info on it. Could also be a link to the competition on the banner.

I am not sure if dynamic PHP, CFM, ASP, etc pages would be a fair testing basis though. The results would vary depending on what dynamic content would load for the test.

Would be something neat for the future.
06-29-2010, 06:43 AM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2010 06:44 AM by sajal.)
(06-29-2010 06:37 AM)pmeenan Wrote:  Right, check line #1 in the rules - Everyone gets the EXACT same page to optimize :-)

aha... i didnt notice your reply before i replied.... you are too fast Smile

07-02-2010, 07:57 PM
(06-29-2010 06:18 AM)green-watch.org Wrote:  ... if Patrick had some sort of competition sometime... Now that would be fun Smile

It should be mentioned that:
1) i have a somehow complex homepage
2) Test was done on a FIOS connection
3) The homepage IS an important landing root page...

0.201s
07-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Hey There,

Quote:i have a somehow complex homepage

Could make a sprite image and combine your image resources.

If you had just the body document, create an iframe, and then on the body onload event load all the content into the iframe. The page would look the same but the 0.201 would be closer to 0.120 if that. My first point is you should probably look at the entire document load time. This would avoid some black hat loading attempts Smile

I would not consider it a complex page only having 14 resources. The page is also static. Any page worthy of a competition page should have at least 100 resources with the ability to do basic techniques such as GZIPPING text resources, to medium techniques such as creating CSS sprites, to more advanced techniques like image preloading.

I think as long as the page speed is between 1 to 2.3 seconds, then the overall concept is pretty good. It gets to a point where the difference is not noticeable with the naked eye.

Sincerely,
Travis Walters
07-02-2010, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2010 09:12 PM by laboot.)
Quote:create an iframe

Iframes is not good... from usability viewpoint.

Quote:This would avoid some black hat loading attempts Smile

Hmmm... after Document Complete event, page loads:
- opensearch.xml open ref
- favicon.ico wiki ref
- one javascript file 201005d.js goog ref
- and 4 images. the same content as in 4 images already loaded, only far better quality. no ref

So, the question is - where do you see black hat? It is not even gray hat Smile

Quote:I would not consider it a complex page only having 14 resources.

But it was. See?
Edit: more bad

Quote:as long as the page speed is between 1 to 2.3 seconds

Sorry. I strongly disagree.