Current time: 12-13-2017, 01:40 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Do acceleration products really work for every request, 24x7?
07-15-2010, 05:49 PM
RE: Do acceleration products really work for every request, 24x7?
Hey There,

It is nice to see the details of a test done by Aptimize in the post above.

I was a bit surprised some of the css and javascript were not combined near the top. However, any program that can reduce the number of resources and make the page faster without code changes is a big plus. I would be interested to see how the service stacks up against a website that has already been manually optimized. Perhaps in a few weeks I make a few more tweaks I will request a trial. I am having a pure css menu created to replace my javascript one and I plan to move all javascript to the bottom of the body.

If there are a bunch of variables that go into a price estimate, it would be nice to have some sort of price calculator that customers could take those variables into consideration. I do not understand the whole concept of wanting to hide the prices from competitors. Any consumer that is going to spend some serious money on a product is going to shop around and ask questions; having the prices available just makes it easier for them to find exactly what they are looking for. Any company that wants to hide prices makes me feel that they want to drive up the price rather than giving fair market value based on supply and demand. I am really hoping there is or will be some sort of cloud based service that small business owners can afford.

Wish both of your companies the best of luck and it will be interesting to see what the future will bring.

Sincerely,
Travis Walters
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2010, 11:44 PM
One of the biggest benefits I can think of for the automated solutions over hand-optimizing (other than not having to hand optimize) is that they can do browser-specific optimizations that you wouldn't want to do by hand (like changing the domain sharding by browser, different methods for inlining images based on browser support, even changing the amount of blank data that needs to be included in an early flush depending on what the browser needs).

For most dev houses the other big win comes in the automatic versioning of resources and long expiration so you don't have to worry about doing it by hand.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-16-2010, 12:00 AM
(07-15-2010 05:49 PM)green-watch.org Wrote:  I was a bit surprised some of the css and javascript were not combined near the top. However, any program that can reduce the number of resources and make the page faster without code changes is a big plus. I would be interested to see how the service stacks up against a website that has already been manually optimized. Perhaps in a few weeks I make a few more tweaks I will request a trial. I am having a pure css menu created to replace my javascript one and I plan to move all javascript to the bottom of the body.

From our research we are aware that most solutions provide significant performance enhancements. However in order to get the most out of them I think you'll always need to consider making some manual changes to your code.

We will be implementing one of the products (decision tomorrow), and will also be prepared to make some manual code changes in order to get the absolute most out the product. The cost is considerably cheaper than implementing best practice manually (by an order of magnitude).

Tomorrow I'll let you know which vendor we will select, and also share the site which the product will be trialled on. Looking forward to finding out for ourselves what this can do.
07-16-2010, 04:40 AM
@astigley: Glad I could help. Feel free to get in touch with me if you have any other questions!

President, Strangeloop
http://strangeloopnetworks.com
http://webperformancetoday.com
07-16-2010, 08:30 AM
(07-16-2010 12:00 AM)astigley Wrote:  The cost is considerably cheaper than implementing best practice manually (by an order of magnitude).

I'd have to echo this very strongly. Hand-optimizing sites for every release is complicated and time-consuming enough that it often just doesn't happen (or starts to regress with new releases). There's something to be said for having the developers focus on the features without having to worry about the mechanics of sharding, etc.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-16-2010, 08:55 AM
It is not so bad to manually optimize the template on which websites are based upon.

I love using dreamweaver (.dwt) templates. It makes changes much easier.

Also with dynamic languages having the header and footer in two separate template files makes optimizing a bit easier.

All the stuff in the middle is time consuming though Smile
07-17-2010, 12:02 AM
We will be trialling the Aptimze product in September. The integration of the Strangeloop product in our environment was little too complicated. A specific problem to us, rather than the product not being up to scratch. So we've opted for the Aptimize apache mod for a small part of our site.

The trial will be run on http://www.vodafone.nl/shop (Yeah we know, there is work to be done....) Will certainly be sharing the targets and results here for you to see the before and after results.
07-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Hi,
This is Leonid and I'm the CTO of AcceloWeb.

Both Strangeloop and Aptimize (both very good products) were considered here, but you neglected the third player - us! Smile.

Feel free to contact sales [at] acceloweb [dot] com to discuss the details with our sales people. Also, I suggest to compare the actual speed benefits (by doing real life testing with actual users) of the different products before reaching a decision, as the 3 products provide different acceleration levels for different web sites.

I'd be happy to assist with any question.

Leonid Fainberg
CTO & Co-Founder
AcceloWeb
07-20-2010, 08:21 AM
The folks at Aptimize are great. Best of luck with your trial, and definitely stay in touch if you’re still in decision-making mode after September.

President, Strangeloop
http://strangeloopnetworks.com
http://webperformancetoday.com