The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.19-0ubuntu0.18.04.2 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Current time: 09-15-2019, 07:56 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Do acceleration products really work for every request, 24x7?
07-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Do acceleration products really work for every request, 24x7?
Hi

My company has been investigating possible acceleration products after attending the velocity conf this year. We have identified a top 3 in this domain of Strangeloopnetworks, Aptimize, and Acceloweb. So my first question is are we missing any key players?

My first impressions of the product demonstrations are "it's too good to be true". After hunting around a little I'm starting to think this might be the case. Autoanything, a site who used Strangeloop's acceleration product was really touted as a huge success at the conference this year. Yet when I test that site, I see mixed results. There were several tests run a few weeks back during the conference, and several completed afterwards. I see these have been removed from public viewing now?

Likewise for customers of the Aptimize product. Inconsistent performance. I'm still not sure who Acceloweb's reference customers are, but I'd really like to hear from anyone who knows.

So, my question to the community is do these products deliver all they promise? Are they actually too good to be true or are my expectations too high? Perhaps my view on what they offer is somewhat distorted. Can anyone give me a real success story? Or can anyone offer a horror story?

We are deciding how to implement several web performance optimisation best practices. The site has been around a long time, and performance has never really been considered with regards to front end changes. Given this situation, we're anticipating significant cost in doing this, let alone maintaining the changes and standards we introduce. Thus the option to use an acceleration product has potential...

Cheers
stig
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Do acceleration products really work for every request, 24x7? - astigley - 07-10-2010 12:05 AM