Current time: 09-21-2019, 06:18 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Do acceleration products really work for every request, 24x7?
07-14-2010, 10:23 AM
RE: Do acceleration products really work for every request, 24x7?
I’m president of Strangeloop. Hopefully I can answer your questions about our products and service.

(07-10-2010 12:05 AM)astigley Wrote:  Autoanything, a site who used Strangeloop's acceleration product was really touted as a huge success at the conference this year. Yet when I test that site, I see mixed results. There were several tests run a few weeks back during the conference, and several completed afterwards. I see these have been removed from public viewing now?

To address the issue of inconsistent results, there are a few reasons why you might get these:

1. We are A/B testing the site all the time so that we can quantify performance improvements on an ongoing basis. This means you have a 50% chance of seeing an unaccelerated page.
2. In some of the A/B tests, we turn off some of the product features to measure and compare the impact of different feature combinations.
3. Site Optimizer is always learning, and to learn it might send pages back that are not treated.
4. Optimal Yslow/Page Speed scores are not always the best for overall conversion (especially when it comes to roundtrip reduction).

To respond to your other question: I'm not sure what you mean when you say that AutoAnything tests have been removed. Where did you see the tests originally?

(07-10-2010 02:45 AM)pmeenan Wrote:  They all appear to be offering "in the cloud" solutions. I'm willing to bet that you could get each of them to set up a trial where you can test through their cloud to see how it performs before committing.

We can do this. Contact me at joshua [dot] bixby [at] strangeloopnetworks [dot] com and let's talk more.

(07-12-2010 05:13 PM)astigley Wrote:  All the companies I listed above will do a free demo for you. You send them the link, and a few days later they will send you an old vs. new waterfall and video from web page test. The videos look convincing! But is this realistic of final performance users will receive or is this "lab" performance levels which are ultimately unobtainable in the real world?

Here's how we do our performance tests (not to be confused with running a trial of our service, which follows a different process):

1. We run the URL you provide through Web Page Test, which is housed on a server in our datacenter in Vancouver. The page test uses a real Internet Explorer 7 browser and a simulated DSL line.
2. One of our Performance Experts reviews the results to ensure that it accurately reflects your site's content and contains no anomalies. Then he or she configures our Site Optimizer service to accelerate the page. In order to get an accurate report, we must configure the system for your site's specific needs. Then we run the page test again.
3. After the report is generated, it is reviewed by one of our Performance Experts to ensure that it accurately reflects what Site Optimizer can do for the page.
4. Once we are satisfied with the results, we generate the final report and send it to you.

The reason we use Web Page Test is because it's the only third-party diagnostic tool that realistically simulates real-world user environments and browser behavior. We do this specifically to ensure that we don't provide unrealistic, unattainable lab performance levels.

(07-12-2010 07:25 PM)green-watch.org Wrote:  What concerns me is I never see prices advertised on their websites.

That's partly because the prices range depending on a bunch of variables that we need to discuss with you before giving you an estimate. And it's partly because we're all cagey about revealing our pricing to our competitors. Wink But I'm always happy to have a no-pressure chat. Please feel free to get in touch with me at the email address above.

President, Strangeloop
http://strangeloopnetworks.com
http://webperformancetoday.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do acceleration products really work for every request, 24x7? - JoshuaBixby - 07-14-2010 10:23 AM