Current time: 05-28-2018, 07:45 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ie7 on vista doesnt support mhtml
08-05-2010, 08:39 PM
ie7 on vista doesnt support mhtml
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/...a1fa714606

!!! ive been using mhtml (+data uri) in my css for few months already... just realized it doesnt work on vista + ie7 ....

just wanted to warn others against mhtml unless ie7+vista combination looses market share completely...

as of last month. ie7 constitutes 14% of my total traffic.
windows vista constitutes 18.5% of my total traffic...

since ie7 is the default browser on vista, i guess 5 to 10% of my traffic may not be able to render mhtml...

cdnplanet.com: We help you select the right CDN
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2010, 08:57 PM
RE: ie7 on vista doesnt support mhtml
Read through the comments on the Phpied post. There are solutions that fix the issue on Vista if you want to go through the effort (though it does require the resources be packaged in a separate file).
08-05-2010, 09:03 PM
hey thanks for the pointers.

The external solution sounds nice... but does the second request block rendering? well i guess i could just run a test to figure out....

The thing is im working on a project where the build scripts would 'build' css during deployment... so anything a little complex is not an issue if it can be repeated by a script instead of doing by hand...

08-06-2010, 05:25 AM
(08-05-2010 08:39 PM)sajal Wrote:  as of last month. ie7 constitutes 14% of my total traffic.
windows vista constitutes 18.5% of my total traffic...

since ie7 is the default browser on vista, i guess 5 to 10% of my traffic may not be able to render mhtml...

Are you using Google Analytics for these numbers? If so you can create an advanced segment that will allow you to filter by OS and Browser version, so you could get the exact percentage of your users that are affected.

-Jonathan
08-06-2010, 05:58 AM
(08-06-2010 05:25 AM)jklein Wrote:  Are you using Google Analytics for these numbers? If so you can create an advanced segment that will allow you to filter by OS and Browser version, so you could get the exact percentage of your users that are affected.

-Jonathan

Yeps im using analytics for the stats... thanks for the tip ... didnt think about making segments based on os/browser before...

~3.93% of all visits fall into this affected category.... my page looks ok even if the css background images arent displayed... so i guess im not gonna implement a workaround for this tiny fraction of users....