Current time: 02-26-2020, 09:06 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is easy to do to improve speed from test result?
08-12-2010, 11:12 AM
RE: What is easy to do to improve speed from test result?
Are you sure W3TC is installed and working? 26 seconds for the base page to respond is just about the worst I have EVER seen (and I have seen a lot). Even without a caching plugin and an obscenely slow hosting provider I have never seen it that bad. W3TC should be caching a static version of your page and should return in well under 1 second.

The compression is referring to gzip compression. That is usually done by modifying the .htaccess file in the root of your site by adding something like:

Code:
<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain    
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml    
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/javascript
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript
</IfModule>

(this is for apache 2.x, 1.x uses mod_gzip). It does require that your hosting provider have gzip compression enabled for their apache - if not yell at them because they should.

I know some stuff about W3TC but have never had to configure it so hopefully someone else chimes in (I know several here have) but you need to give it a list of css and javascript files to merge together which will handle the "combine css/js" recommendation.

You should take care of the problems in this order, and then come back and see what things look like:

1 - Fix the base page response time. Nothing else matters until you get that 26+ seconds reduced.

2 - Enable gzip compression. It's just a configuration setting and has no risk.

3 - Configure W3TC to merge the css and javascript files
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is easy to do to improve speed from test result? - pmeenan - 08-12-2010 11:12 AM