Current time: 12-17-2017, 10:19 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favicons
04-16-2011, 04:49 AM
RE: Favicons
@Marvin: Great test you have done. For what little it's worth, I have seen much the same -- the real-life impact of the favicons is quite small.

If you're interested, the reason why I suggested to load favicons via CDN comes here:

AFAIK old Internet Explorers would lazy-load the favicon if it's not added explicitly with markup, but would load it right away if it's added explicitly in the HTML. That behavior is said to be the origin of the advice to just add favicons to the root of your website, and not mention them in the HTML.

However, old IEs are slowly dying out, and AFAIK all modern browsers will lazy-load the favicons, even if they're explicitly linked in the HTML. I have no reference for this at hand, but I've been told so a couple of times now.

Lastly, modern social media favicons and gravitars like Facebook's "Share" icon may appear on many sites, and in contexts where they cannot be lazy-loaded.

So on balance, given the above, I find it more maintainable to handle the favicons, gravatars, social media icons and whatnot as just another static resource -- and put them on the CDN, where all the other static resources already reside. And if modern browsers lazy-load the CDN favicons too, then it's certainly not going to be slower to load favicons via CDN.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2011, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2011 11:01 AM by Marvin.)
RE: Favicons
Jasper, I thank you very kindly for replying in such detail. Now that I understand it, I placed my favicon on the CDN permanently. I again did a series of before & after tests. Just like in the first testing in the morning, I can still very clearly see that placing the .ico on the CDN saves about 50 milliseconds. I'll leave it as is. :-)

Marvin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply