Current time: 12-11-2017, 10:26 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vBulletin forum and results
09-19-2012, 01:42 AM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2012 01:46 AM by Jon12345.)
RE: vBulletin forum and results
Marvin, I have to say your forum is a complete inspiration to me as to what is possible. Very impressive!

Currently, my forum home page is faster than it used to be, after a few modifications. However, the thread view seems to be appalling! With this in mind, I thought I should post the latest test results. Or should I open a new thread?

Recent results

Home page: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/120917_FA_E2E/

Thread view: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/120918_N8_FGD/

Any suggestions for either home or thread page, but especially thread pages?

Note that surveymonkey is a popup I have for 1 in 4 visitors to my site.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Jon, I browsed your forum last night, and it loads much faster than the above tests would led one to believe. I'm not sure what other improvements to suggest. Your pages have a lot more requests in comparison to mine so they will naturally show a bit longer load time in test results.

Marvin
09-21-2012, 11:40 PM
I am thinking about changing CDN supplier. Average page load time according to Google Analytics is 20 seconds in India! Currently, I am with MaxCDN but I do not have an Asian pop with them. Currently looking into who to go with. On the surface http://www.cdn77.com/ look good, although I do not know much about them. Edge resellers are another option. Not sure why page load speed is so slow in the far east.
09-22-2012, 12:51 AM
One thing to be careful with real-user data is that demographics and environment also factor in. Shared low-bandwidth connections in Internet Cafe's are pretty common in parts of Asia. Not saying it's not worth looking at other CDN's but it may not solve the problem.

I tried running WebPagetest on another CDN that had Asia (and Australia) POPs for a week but I didn't get a measurable improvement from those regions. Granted, WPT has a fair bit of dynamic content that isn't served through a CDN (waterfalls and screen shots) but there is a good bit of cacheable shared code as well.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-22-2012, 01:01 AM
Yes, I considered the isp speed of different regions. I looked for a way to measure the speed by type of connection, but I couldn't find anything in Google Analytics that tells you what connection speed people are using. Did I miss something?

I wonder whether turning a bunch of the images into Sprites would help. I did it for the nav bar at the top of the page.

I have 4 different advertisers so I wonder if that is part of the issue. Is there anything suggesting my host is slow? Not sure how I work that one out.
09-22-2012, 03:26 AM
Jon, I just used different WebPageTest locations around the globe for testing purposes. That I thought gave me a good idea how my changes affected my forum's speed in far away locations.

Marvin
09-22-2012, 03:30 AM
The "page timings" in the analytics speed data should give you visibility into all of the parts of navigation timing (including socket connect time and server response time). It's over on the "Performance" tab.

You can look at the histograms of the socket connect times and the server response times to see how your host is performing (the host performance should not really vary by region).

It looks like you might be able to create your own custom advanced segments based on "connection speed" but I'm a noob in analytics and not sure how good that data is.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user