Current time: 12-18-2017, 01:58 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there ANYTHING alse I can optimize?
09-02-2011, 09:10 AM
RE: Is there ANYTHING alse I can optimize?
Pat, your suggestions, ideas, and help, are very much appreciated. I have removed the external css file, and placed it inline. I did a few comparison tests. I have mixed feelings about the results, and I will have to test it more at a later time to decide how to proceed.

I have tested in two of your test centers, the nearby Dulles, VA, and the far away Wellington, New Zealand.

In the nearby Dulles, VA, the Start Render time has clearly improved from about 480 ms down to about 310 ms! The overall load time has not changed much. The following tests show about 50 ms improvement, but the load time does vary, and I would have to perform many more tests to conclude if it's an improvement or not.

In the far away Wellington, New Zealand, the Start Render Before/After times are about the same (1.1 sec), and Load Time actually seems a bit worse (by about 100 ms, 1.6 sec vs 1.7 sec).

For the time being I'm leaving this feature disabled, but I will play will it still at a later time.

Here are links to test results (10 tests per page):

Dulles, VA
- before http://www.webpagetest.org/result/110901...952b9ccf1/
- after http://www.webpagetest.org/result/110901...4e635b9b6/

Wellington, New Zealand
- before http://www.webpagetest.org/result/110901...3b001a366/
- after http://www.webpagetest.org/result/110901...229656e6e/

Marvin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Well, you're certainly well into the range where the improvements could be inside of the measurement variation - good place to be :-)

I can't remember - are you on a dedicated server that you control?

If so and you are not running a Linux kernel >= 2.6.39 you can also get a boost by upgrading the kernel. Linux 2.6.39 boosted the initial TCP congestion window from 4KB to 10 packets (amount of data the server will send on the first round trip). For a site as fast as yours it can make a pretty big improvement.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2011, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2011 06:31 PM by Marvin.)
Pat, the site is on a VPS, but I may ask the host about the settings.

I've done more tests with the CSS in the base file. I tested it in all of the NA and EU test locations (most of my traffic is from NA and EU.

In NA/EU the start render has improved, and the load times seem to be slightly better, too, so I will leave it like this for now.

The load time in New Zealand has worsened by 100 to 200 ms, but the Australian test center shows a tiny improvement.

I don't think I will bother with serving external CSS to users with cookies at this time. It seems like a bit too much work to modify vBulletin to achieve that.

Marvin
09-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Pat, I was looking through my vBulletin's Admin Control Panel, and I found the following:

Quote:System: Linux vps.laptopgpsworld.com 2.6.18-028stab070.14 #1 SMP Thu Nov 18 16:04:02 MSK 2010 x86_64

I'm guessing that the number 2.6.18 is the version number. Do you think that even though I'm on a VPS, if they move me to a server that runs a Linux version >= 2.6.39, I would still benefit?

Marvin
09-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Wow, 2.6.18 is from 2006. I hope they are keeping up to date on security patches for your VPS.

It won't be a HUGE gain in performance but it will usually cut the content download time for the first resource on a new connection in half (if the resources are over 4KB). My guess would be that it's good for ~100ms towards the load time (and maybe 50ms to render) but since your page is so well optimized it would be a reasonably large win percentage-wise.
09-07-2011, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2011 10:19 AM by Marvin.)
I'd love to gain another 50 to 100ms, but it will not be easy, if at all possible, with my current VPS host:

Quote:It is not possible to update the kernel version of a VPS product. The kernel is custom compiled to work with virtuozzo. If you desire I can forward you over to our sales department with whom you could discuss the construction of a "bare-metal" server that runs on a 2.6.39 kernel. Please let me know if you would like me to pass this ticket onto sales.

All of their VPS products run 2.6.18 kernel, and the only way to get a different kernel with this host would be to go dedicated, and that's something I'm not ready to pay for, since this is really just a hobby site.

The host is SERVINT, a reputable host with reliable service. I switched to them a few months ago, and I have not experienced a single minute of down time ever since. I wouldn't mind switching to another hosting provider, but I suspect it wouldn't be easy to find the same reliability and performance.

Marvin
09-07-2011, 10:35 AM
And honestly, it's really not worth it for the 50-100ms on that one page. I'd recommend investing the effort into the rest of the site to make sure the experience is fast across the board.

If you haven't already tried it, new relic ( http://newrelic.com/ ) is great for giving you visibility into the end-user and back-end performance of the pages that users are visiting. I haven't tried it against v-bulletin but the basic php and mysql support should let you drill in pretty quickly. I think they have a 30-day free trial which should give you enough information to work with.
09-08-2011, 01:57 AM
Pat, wouldn't the newer kernel affect the entire site, not just home page?

Thanks for the link, I'll look into it.

Marvin
09-09-2011, 03:22 AM
Servint, WiredTree, Knownhost, Liquidweb, have all told me they run 2.6.18 (or older) kernel. Apparently, Virtuozzo doesn't support 2.6.39 at this time.

Marvin
09-09-2011, 03:34 AM
Since its a VPS, there shouldn't be any reason why you wouldn't be able to upgrade the kernel version yourself. VPS's are by their nature, virtual dedicated machines. Assuming you have root access you should be able to do something like:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-kerne...ade-howto/

Just keep in mind that your hosting may not be able to offer you support if you run into issues.