Current time: 12-14-2017, 11:20 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Hosting - Init. Connect. & Download faster, but TTFB slower. Why?
06-07-2011, 02:28 AM
RE: New Hosting - Init. Connect. & Download faster, but TTFB slower. Why?
Pat,

In the mean time, I removed check-marks from in front of Mod SuPHP and CGI. I'm now at the end of creating a new build, which option should I choose?

Quote:This tool allows you to configure the Apache PHP Handler, the default PHP version and suEXEC support. The default PHP version determines which version of PHP is used for files with a '.php' extensions when served by Apache. Enabling suEXEC provides support for Apache to run CGI programs as the user ID of the account owner. suEXEC is not PHPSuExec. Please refer to the documentation for a detailed explanation of how each handler functions.

I'm not clear of about the Apache suEXEC option. The default value is ON. Should I leave it as is, or should I change it to OFF?

Marvin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2011, 02:36 AM
You should be able to turn it off since PHP isn't running as a CGI.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2011, 02:37 AM
Sorry, what is the list of options you have available? The PHP version should be the latest that is supported by v-bulletin (I would imagine the latest 5.x that you can pick).
06-07-2011, 03:13 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2011 03:15 AM by Marvin.)
Thanks Pat very much for your help and time.

I didn't install eAccelerator, I just disabled the two above mentioned options, Mod SuPHP and CGI, which were not enabled on my old VPS anyway.

The reason I didn't install eAccelerator was because I just noticed that while it was installed on my old VPS, it wasn't being used, at leased I didn't see it being enabled in one of my control panels (VBSEO control panel).

In the above mentioned control panel, I see 4 options:

- none
- memcached (Supported)
- APC Cache (Supported)
- XCache (Unsupported)
- eAccelerator (Unsupported)

The option that was being used, was "memcached". I switched it to APC for testing, but I saw no difference.

XCache and eAccelerator are marked as unsupported, which I believe simply means that at the moment those are not installed on the VPS. However, I'm not even sure if enabling/disabling these cache-type options within this (vBSEO) control panel has any effect on anything. I just tried to set it to "none", and webpagetest still showed me that files were being cached just fine.

I don't know what to try to improve to bring the TTFB to the speed it was at the old VPS. I may submit a ticket to see if the new host can do something about it.

Marvin
06-07-2011, 03:31 AM
memcached and APC cache are different beasts. APC should automatically improve the performance of your PHP code which should most directly impact the TTFB (and you should enable it).

Memcache can be used by various components to cache data but each component needs to know about it and how to use it. If v-bulletin supports caching to memcache then it would be a good idea to enable it and configure it in v-bulletin.

The other variable at play is going to be your database. Did you migrate the database when you switched VPS as well? I know a lot less about tuning those but for something like v-bulletin it is going to be important as it usually has to run a bunch of queries to generate the pages (and those will also go against the first byte times).
06-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Derek M, ServInt tech support, went out of his way to install and properly configure LiteSpeed on my new VPS, and that did the trick! Now it's working as expected. I'm a happy camper :-)

Pat I appreciate your feedback, suggestions, and your taking the time to help. I've learned several things in the process.

Marvin
06-07-2011, 11:01 AM
BEFORE: TTFB 266 milliseconds
[Image: 1_waterfall.png]

AFTER: TTFB 175 milliseconds
[Image: 1_waterfall.png]

Just for illustration of the huge impact the LiteSpeed web server had, please compare the TTFB of the base file on the above Before & After screen shots. The other files are static content being served via CDN, so disregard those.

Marvin
06-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Pretty impressive - looks like it was god for a full 100ms (> 30% faster).
06-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Yes, very impressive how LiteSpeed improved it. I used LiteSpeed on my old server, too, so the 100ms is not an improvement of the new VPS versus the old VPS, but there does seem to be *some* improvement. It's hard to tell exactly how much, but every little bit helps. Smile

Marvin