MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occured. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
WebPagetest Forums - 408 timeouts caused by Chrome?

WebPagetest Forums

Full Version: 408 timeouts caused by Chrome?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have noticed a trend lately on my server. Huh
I have seen a lot more "408" error codes in httpd logs.

they are coming from many different IP addresses, including local.
One strange occurance that led to this note here is that I noticed that my LOCAL machine is giving 408 timeouts ONLY when using Chrome.

Here is a long note showing connections and the issue:
The question is... are the 408's I'm seeing caused by other users using Chrome to connect to my website (greenspotantiques.com) as well, my assumption given the result from my LOCAL machine logs as well.
Please excuse the length, but the only real way to explain my question is to view the logs.
Since the logs do NOT report the user agent or browser.... I have no way of knowing what is being connected to, etc.
typical 408 reports like this:
127.0.0.1 - - [13/Mar/2015:11:49:00 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
no request, no user agent, no referrer......
Help?


here goes;


using Chrome on mac osx : I am the "unallocated-static" mentioned below.


unallocated-static.rogers.com - - [13/Mar/2015:11:48:45 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 12644 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_8) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.152 Safari/537.36"
crawl-66-249-64-70.googlebot.com - - [13/Mar/2015:11:48:47 -0400] "GET /c/4-sale/collectables HTTP/1.1" 200 7608 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)"
168.244.5.58 - - [13/Mar/2015:11:48:49 -0400] "GET /youngstown-kitchen-cabinet-metal-with-serial-number-retro-top-quality HTTP/1.1" 200 12742 "http://www.google.com/url?url=http://greenspotantiques.com/youngstown-kitchen-cabinet-metal-with-serial-number-retro-top-quality&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ei=tAYDVevUMsSqNrKXgYAI&ved=0CDYQ9QEwEDgU&usg=AFQjCNHXrq7ZPN9XN4BwvOVs-7fY13Jcsw" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.2)"
msnbot-157-55-39-193.search.msn.com - - [13/Mar/2015:11:48:51 -0400] "GET /collectable-from-glass-china-to-advertising-signs/page/46 HTTP/1.1" 404 7681 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; bingbot/2.0; +http://www.bing.com/bingbot.htm)"
127.0.0.1 - - [13/Mar/2015:11:49:00 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [13/Mar/2015:11:49:00 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [13/Mar/2015:11:49:00 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [13/Mar/2015:11:49:00 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [13/Mar/2015:11:49:00 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [13/Mar/2015:11:49:00 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [13/Mar/2015:11:49:00 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [13/Mar/2015:11:49:00 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [13/Mar/2015:11:49:00 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
====================
using safari:

unallocated-static.rogers.com - - [13/Mar/2015:11:50:47 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 12644 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_8) AppleWebKit/534.59.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1.9 Safari/534.59.10"
====================
other user

70.27.76.183 - - [13/Mar/2015:11:51:03 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"

and other user
157.56.1.95 - - [13/Mar/2015:11:53:12 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"

======= another example ======== NOTE all at approx same time, just like the 127.0.0.1 local example above.

70.25.56.155 - - [16/Mar/2015:08:21:40 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
70.25.56.155 - - [16/Mar/2015:08:21:40 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
70.25.56.155 - - [16/Mar/2015:08:21:40 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
70.25.56.155 - - [16/Mar/2015:08:21:40 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
70.25.56.155 - - [16/Mar/2015:08:21:40 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
70.25.56.155 - - [16/Mar/2015:08:21:40 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
====================

The LOCAL 408 are entirely reproducible….. here is one instance this morning. I
I fire up Chrome (mac osx 10.6.8) and get thefollowing result. in the space of 2 seconds.
A reload of the page gives the same result yet again.


=====================================

unallocated-static.rogers.com - - [16/Mar/2015:09:38:23 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 12728 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_8) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.152 Safari/537.36"
127.0.0.1 - - [16/Mar/2015:09:38:31 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [16/Mar/2015:09:38:31 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [16/Mar/2015:09:38:31 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [16/Mar/2015:09:38:31 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [16/Mar/2015:09:38:31 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [16/Mar/2015:09:38:31 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [16/Mar/2015:09:38:31 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [16/Mar/2015:09:38:31 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [16/Mar/2015:09:38:32 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [16/Mar/2015:09:38:33 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
127.0.0.1 - - [16/Mar/2015:09:38:33 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
Reference URL's