MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occured. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
WebPagetest Forums - Problems with Linux Server, Windows Agent

WebPagetest Forums

Full Version: Problems with Linux Server, Windows Agent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've downloaded and setup an instance of WebPageTest 2.0, and it worked great in an all-in-one windows server.
I then moved on to setup a linux server running the web part only, and that works, but one thing I can't make work are the generated images, like the waterfall images.

If I ask for a URL like: http://<host>/result/100918_6/1_waterfall_thumb.png
I get a 500 error and no image nor other info. This link is from the results page of a sample test.

A few more details to help troubleshoot:
- I'm using Ubuntu Server 10.04, Apache 2.2.14, and php5 (client is windows XP)
- URL rewriting looks like it works, getting to this URL: http://<host>/thumbnail.php?test=100918_6&run=1&file=1_waterfall.png
- I'm not getting any other errors in the web sever logs, even when switching to "debug" level
- The test itself and the textual result seem fine
- The following files are in the results folder of that test:
1_IEWPG.txt
1_IEWTR.txt
1_optimization.txt
1_pagespeed.txt
1_progress.csv
1_report.txt
1_screen_doc.jpg
1_screen.jpg
1_screen_render.jpg
testinfo.ini
testinfo.json
url.txt

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

btw, I came across a few other issues I managed to resolve, once the full system works I'll post those for the benefit of future installers Smile

Thanks,
Guypo
Check your php.ini and make sure GD is installed. It is used for drawing the images and resizing the screen shots.

Thanks,

-Pat
Thanks for the quick reply, and you are correct as usual... For some reason I thought it was built into php5.

So now that it all works, here are a few small issues I came across, for what it's worth:
1. I got an error in getwork.php(), line 70, when no work was available, since the $filename variable wasn't defined. Adding "isset($filename)" before it made that go away.
2. I got a similar problem in line 7 of updateFeeds.php, added a similar "isset($_GET['force'])" in that if.
3. I had "MultiViews" on in options for the webpagetest folder, which resulted in a weird rewrite to ".inc", and messed up the rewrites. Removing it made that problem go away.
4. As others before, I had to grant the apache user write access to several folders.
5. As others before, I had some case problems, I ended up just using lower case for the location.

To summarize, to setup the prereqs for a website on linux here's what I ran:
apt-get -y install apache2
apt-get -y install php5
apt-get -y install php5-gd

To enable apache modules I ran:
a2enmod php5
a2enmod rewrite
a2enmod expires
a2enmod headers
a2enmod deflate

And I used this config as the linux apache config (in the site config, beyond the apache defaults):
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

DocumentRoot /var/webpagetest
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Satisfy all
ExpiresActive off
FileETag None
</Directory>

<Directory /var/webpagetest>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride all
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Thanks,
Guypo
Thanks. I added the 2 code changes to the trunk so they should show up in the next release. I'll also get a wiki page up for documenting the hosted installs and troubleshooting in the next day or so so we can gather the knowledge from all of the threads into a single place.
Reference URL's