WebPagetest Forums

Full Version: Please help me improving First Byte Time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/111121_02_289QT/
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/111121_AQ_289QX/

I run vBSEO, see this thread: http://www.vbseo.com/f2/first-byte-slowe...ime-52021/

Now when I turn off vbseo the time improves to A/B.

I've had my web host working with me for about a month to try to fix slow queries but no help.

Could you guys please advise me what else I can do to improve this?

My website link: http://www.47r-squad.com

I also run cPanel Varnish, EdgeCast CDN, xcache.
Also can I have my CDN added to known list?
cdn.47r-squad.com
edge.47r-squad.com
Your CDN servers should be correctly identified since they are on MaxCDN/NetDNA. Looking at the test results it looks like all of your content is served from http://www.47r-squad.com though which is why you are failing the CDN check: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/111121...use_of_cdn

Out of the technologies you list, only xcache could possibly help your first byte times for the base page (dynamic content).

There are a couple of posts about optimizing for vBulletin (I believe Marvin has done a lot of work on it) but it essentially comes down to turning off everything that isn't critical for your site in the options. Beyond that you just need screaming fast database access.

Something like New Relic can give you some great insight into where the time is being spent (I expect it is a LOT of database queries, each of which completes reasonably fast but they probably add up).
(11-27-2011 02:13 AM)pmeenan Wrote: [ -> ]Your CDN servers should be correctly identified since they are on MaxCDN/NetDNA. Looking at the test results it looks like all of your content is served from http://www.47r-squad.com though which is why you are failing the CDN check: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/111121...use_of_cdn

Out of the technologies you list, only xcache could possibly help your first byte times for the base page (dynamic content).

There are a couple of posts about optimizing for vBulletin (I believe Marvin has done a lot of work on it) but it essentially comes down to turning off everything that isn't critical for your site in the options. Beyond that you just need screaming fast database access.

Something like New Relic can give you some great insight into where the time is being spent (I expect it is a LOT of database queries, each of which completes reasonably fast but they probably add up).

Hi there, thanks for replying.
edge.47r-squad.com is on edgecast cdn, could that be added so it detects it?

Would you go with MyISAM or InnoDB for database?

I'll take a look at New Relic, but it seems to be a very expensive piece of software.
New Relic has a 14-day free trial for the pro version and steps all the way down to a fully free (with less detail and data retention level). Hopefully you would be able to find a lot of issues to address in the trial period.

Edgecast should also be detected. All of the resources that were detected as not being served from a CDN were coming directly off of your www domain.

For a smaller database with not much concurrency you probably won't notice much difference between MyISAM and InnoDB but if you have a lot of concurrent reads and writes you probably want InnoDB for it's row-level locking (where last I checked MyISAM has to lock to full table for writes).
Hmmm, I signed up but didn't get a free 14 day trial...
I was finally about to set this up and here is what it came up with:
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8469/slowqueries.png

Any suggestions on how I can tune up DB? or anything I can tell my web host to improve those times?
Hard to say without knowing the database architecture. It looks like a lot of the long operations were write operations so if you are using MyISAM you could be bumping into concurrency issues and could get a boost from a switch to innodb.

I hope that the user table already has an index on uid but if not you might need to add one there.

Those are just the traces from specific queries that took a long time, what do the graphs look like under app server->overview? Is database the main contributor to time or is it something else? What is the reported average response time?
Looks like it might be vBSEO mainly, but that's tied into the database.
Here is a screenshot of overview: http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2002/overviewm.png
Hi IcEWoLF,

I've been following your thread here and at vBSEO forum with great interest. I don't have anything helpful to add as far as troubleshooting or optimization, but your issue has prompted me to perform a test of my site, which is similar to yours in the add-ons used (vBSEO, vBadvanced, but I run the old vB3.8.x instead of the new vB4.x).

I did 10 tests with vBSEO enabled, and 10 tests with vBSEO disabled. When comparing the results of the 2 median runs, the TTFB was only just over 10 milliseconds slower with vBSEO enabled.

I'm also on a VPS.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's