WebPagetest Forums
adding a strng to user agents in firefox-tests - Printable Version

+- WebPagetest Forums (https://www.webpagetest.org/forums)
+-- Forum: WebPagetest (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Bugs/Issues (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: adding a strng to user agents in firefox-tests (/showthread.php?tid=12997)

adding a strng to user agents in firefox-tests - nilskuhn - 05-28-2014 12:14 AM

Hi,

we add an extra-string to user agents in our webpagetests. For Firefox-tests we used to add the following to ./templates/Firefox/prefs.js on agents:
user_pref("general.useragent.extra.webpagetest", "our-key-to-identify-monitoring");

Since a while that doesn't work anymore. I can see PTST in user agent, but not our key added via user_pref :-(
Any ideas? Anything changed in setting/adding PTST-String to user agent in the recent past?
Maybe firefox-version dependent? I tested with versions 26 to 29 and the user agent isn't added in any of these. The ff-pref general.useragent.extra.[product/version] isn't marked as deprecated ore something here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_Entries

Strange, anyway ...

Regards, Nils

RE: adding a strng to user agents in firefox-tests - pmeenan - 05-28-2014 12:19 AM

Any chance it's SSL content? Just wondering if I fixed a bug where we were not correctly modifying headers and accidentally broke your use case. If you check the "keep original UA string" option does your pref start working again?

RE: adding a strng to user agents in firefox-tests - nilskuhn - 05-28-2014 12:26 AM

No, than PTST disappears, but our identifier isn't added, too.

RE: adding a strng to user agents in firefox-tests - pmeenan - 05-28-2014 12:40 AM

If you add that to a normal firefox profile and check the UA manually do you see it? I shouldn't be touching the headers anymore if you flipped the bit so it looks like firefox itself isn't getting the pref.

RE: adding a strng to user agents in firefox-tests - nilskuhn - 05-28-2014 12:57 AM

you're right

I'll have a look why the ff-pref general.useragent.extra.[product/version] doesn't work in ff 29 on our agents, anymore. I'll report here if I get an idea.

RE: adding a strng to user agents in firefox-tests - drwells - 06-25-2014 04:39 AM

Any update on this?

RE: adding a strng to user agents in firefox-tests - nilskuhn - 06-25-2014 05:40 AM

No, unfortunately not. The general.useragent.extra.* preference doesn't seem to work anymore in actual ff-versions. We take general.useragent.override instead which isn't the same cause it doesn't sustain the original useragent, but it works.