WebPagetest Forums
Cannot auto open Chrome on Test Agent - Printable Version

+- WebPagetest Forums (https://www.webpagetest.org/forums)
+-- Forum: WebPagetest (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Bugs/Issues (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Cannot auto open Chrome on Test Agent (/showthread.php?tid=5142)

Cannot auto open Chrome on Test Agent - tuan - 10-14-2011 02:52 PM

I set up Test Agent to test with Google Chrome, but chrome cannot open automatically. Here is my wptdriver.ini:
Code:
[WebPagetest]
url=http://127.0.0.1/work/
Location=Test_Chrome
Location Key=TestKey123

[chrome]
exe="C:\Documents and Settings\tester\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
options="--load-extension=C:\webpagetest\extension --user-data-dir=C:\Documents and Settings\tester\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache --new-window --no-proxy-server --no-first-run --no-default-browser-check"
cache=C:\Documents and Settings\tester\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache

and my settings.ini:
Code:
[locations]
1=Test_loc
default=Test_loc

[Test_loc]
1=Test_Chrome
2=Test_IE
default=Test_Chrome
label=Test Location

[Test_IE]
browser=IE 7
;browserExe=pagetest.exe
latency=0
label="Internet Explorer 7"
;key=TestKey123

[Test_Chrome]
browser=Chrome
latency=0
label="Chrome"
key=TestKey123

Please tell what's wrong in my configuration.
Thanks!

RE: Cannot auto open Chrome on Test Agent - pmeenan - 10-14-2011 10:10 PM

Couple of items with the wptdriver.ini:

1 - remove the work/ from the URL. Unlike urlblast.ini, it is not needed, just the base URL for the server.
2 - For the user data dir and extension parts of the command line, leave the %WPTDIR% and %PROFILE% strings from the original, they will be expanded automatically
3 - You shouldn't need the cache= line (as long as you use %PROFILE% for the user_data_dir).

I'm assuming the path to the chrome exe is correct (I expect #1 was the main problem)

Thanks,

-Pat

RE: Cannot auto open Chrome on Test Agent - tuan - 10-17-2011 01:21 PM

Hi Pat,
Here is my wptdriver.ini file after changing:
Code:
[WebPagetest]
url=http://127.0.0.1/
Location=Test_Chrome
Location Key=TestKey123

[chrome]
exe="C:\Documents and Settings\tester\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
options="--load-extension=C:\webpagetest\extension --user-data-dir=C:\webpagetest\chrome_cache --new-window --no-proxy-server --no-first-run --no-default-browser-check"
I'm sure about path to Chrome exe is correct (cuz chrome set up on default path), but it doesn't still work.

RE: Cannot auto open Chrome on Test Agent - pmeenan - 10-17-2011 11:00 PM

sorry, one more change - in wptdriver.ini it should be "Key=", not "Location Key=". Sorry for changing the names from urlblast.ini but we were taking the opportunity to try to make things a little cleaner on the new platform.

RE: Cannot auto open Chrome on Test Agent - tuan - 10-18-2011 11:33 AM

Yeah, brilliant! It's exact I need. Thanks so much Pat!

RE: Cannot auto open Chrome on Test Agent - tuan - 10-18-2011 07:33 PM

Now, it works ok with Chrome, and shows the results right. But when I click "Create video" button, it cannot create video, just staying the "Video will be create shortly" screen. (When I change to use IE for Test Agent, creating video is ok).
Do we need any plugin for creating video when using Chrome for Test Agent?

RE: Cannot auto open Chrome on Test Agent - pmeenan - 10-18-2011 08:23 PM

Are the IE and Chrome agents connecting to the same server (you can run both wptdriver and urlblast at the same time, they will make sure only one is running a test at a time)?

Only urlblast knows how to render videos right now so you need at least one instance of it running, even if it isn't connected to a location. The videos can be rendered by any location it doesn't need to be the same one that ran the test.

Thanks,

-Pat

RE: Cannot auto open Chrome on Test Agent - tuan - 10-19-2011 05:59 PM

So amazing, I have just tried your solution. It works perfectly right now.
Big thank for you, Pat.