MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occured. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Accuracy of IP->Geo location?
Current time: 04-02-2020, 08:48 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
01-21-2012, 03:33 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2012 02:33 PM by bcantoni.)
I recently moved some of my site's static content to be served through Amazon CloudFront. Testing on webpagetest.org from a few locations around the world, I wanted to confirm that this content would be served from regional locations. Results showed that the CloudFront files were always coming from Seattle regardless of the test location.

Upon closer inspection, it looks like the content was being served regionally, but the IP geo lookup was inaccurate. (In this case for Amazon it seems all their addresses are reported as Seattle, WA.)

For example, here's a test I ran from Paris, France:
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/120120_X1_2Y9Y3/

The CloudFront files are served from domain cdn.scooterlabs.com which resolved as 205.251.205.2. Doing a traceroute to 205.251.205.2 from my office in San Francisco ends on a level3 network in Paris, so it appears the CDN files are being served regionally in this case.

My conclusion is that the IP Geo reverse lookup isn't always accurate and might provide misleading results. This isn't an issue specific to webpagetest.org (testing this same IP on a bunch of other Geo IP tools gave the same results), but just a caution I guess not to rely on it too much.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Accuracy of IP->Geo location? - bcantoni - 01-21-2012 03:33 AM
RE: Accuray of IP->Geo location? - Marvin - 01-21-2012, 08:39 AM
RE: Accuracy of IP->Geo location? - sajal - 01-25-2012, 03:26 AM