Current time: 01-16-2021, 06:38 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"D" and "F" grades on "First Byte Time" (Site times out over 50% of the time)
10-24-2012, 11:47 AM
RE: "D" and "F" grades on "First Byte Time" (Site times out over 50% of the time)
(10-23-2012 03:43 AM)pmeenan Wrote:  
(10-23-2012 03:24 AM)martian Wrote:  Patrick, the non-WP version is a static site and does not use any database.

My guess would be performance issues with the database because WP relies on it quite heavily and it's usually the main pain point on shared hosting.

Quote:I was under the impression that "hazara.net/cms" and "hazara.net/cms/" were both same and pulling the same "index.php". (or does the "/" makes a difference?.

/cms and /cms/ are different. /cms is looking for a file named cms in the root directory while /cms/ will load the default file for the directory (index.php).

Test with the URL including the trailing slash. The missing slash is why you are seeing the redirect.

Quote:To step back for a moment, here is the scenario:
The main static site, hazara.net, has been running for the last 15 years and has good search ranking. So, I configured the WP version in its own directory (hazara.net/cms/). The thought is to redirect (haven't set the redirection yet) users coming to "hazara.net" with 301 to "hazara.net/cms/". If users were following a link to a static page found via search engine, they can still get to it. However, those users coming to the index file "hazara.net/index.html" would be redirected to "hazara.net/cms/index.php" (once I set the redirection).

Any expert opinion whether this is a good strategy? Would you recommend moving WP to the root (hazara.net) and keep the static content with it as well (There are one too many static pages. I need time to convert them one by one, and was thinking to retire them gradually over time when the new site was stable). Are there any better ways to redirect users from old static pages to the new dynamic one dished by WP?

A 301 redirect should be fine. Search engines will see the permanent redirect and index the new pages and the redirect will also get cached for users. That said, don't turn on the redirect while performance is bad - it will suck for users but it will also reduce the amount of your content that gets indexed (at least the speed at which it gets indexed).

Thanks for the feedback! I am currently working with the hosting company (godaddy) to see what explanation they come up with Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "D" and "F" grades on "First Byte Time" (Site times out over 50% of the time) - martian - 10-24-2012 11:47 AM