MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occured. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Never mind the webpages, how do you fix the business??
Current time: 09-22-2020, 02:38 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never mind the webpages, how do you fix the business??
01-29-2013, 03:08 AM
Exclamation Never mind the webpages, how do you fix the business??
Lots of the posts on these forums ask "how can i improve my test score", or "how can i make my website faster". I know what needs to be done to do those things, its quite trivial (from a technical perspective).

What i don't know how to do, is convince the business (those with the fitted carpets and potted plants) that *they* are killing the website. As conversion decreases, they feel compelled to add yet more 3rd party tracking tags. I know it's crazy. Its like saying, if i weigh my self more often I'll lose more weight!

Its got so bad that our end users actually have to down load 52% web page and 48% tracking tags!! (number of GETs, amount of data Kbytes)

Its so bad in fact, that the size of the cookies in the client request now fragments the packet. So a simple get for a 1x1 tracking pixel is fragmented across two packets. Not only that, but 1.3k was transmitted to fetch ~40 bytes!!

So, please tell me. How have you had this conversation, how did go down? Did you get far with quoting facts and figures from similar websites as yours?

Did you use the industry arguments: "Amazon: 100ms faster = 1% revenue increase", etc etc?

I look forward to your responses.

many thanks,

@hsiboy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Never mind the webpages, how do you fix the business?? - hsiboy - 01-29-2013 03:08 AM