Current time: 12-13-2019, 01:44 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Variable Wordpress time to first byte - a hosting problem??
01-30-2015, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2015 07:06 AM by Andy3142.)
RE: Variable Wordpress time to first byte - a hosting problem??
Dear AJ,

Thanks for that helpful post and for taking the time to run the two tests. We've had a "positive confusion factor" at work here. The engineer at my hosts, 34SP, kindly and unexpectedly tweaked by WP W3 Total Cache plugin, and greatly improved results. He said:

"> The W3 Total Cache plugin is very good, but does need some careful configuration. I have made some changes to it,

that vastly improve site load speeds including the painful TTFB, which was being caused by cached database queries to disk.

I would advise against caching database queries to disk on any shared hosting servers.

It might work on a dedicated server, but , to be honest, MySQL caches in RAM and disk just slows things down for these.

Cheers "

I think he did this after I posted, but before you tested. So we were testing different situations.

Anyhow I ** THINK ** that's what happened - I never saw TTFBs anywhere near as low as yours. And in that case, Yes, the remaining anomalies are due to a shared server and as such are OK in the circumstances.

I am checking into your "hot mess" suggestions urgently, and thank you for these. I knew there were things I had to look into but no clear idea which.

Cheers

Andy

Andy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Variable Wordpress time to first byte - a hosting problem?? - Andy3142 - 01-30-2015 12:16 AM