Current time: 10-26-2020, 08:47 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standalone wptdriver.exe possible?
08-18-2016, 03:23 AM
RE: Standalone wptdriver.exe possible?
It's not just installing, it needs the admin rights to clear the OS dns cache, IE cache and a few other things. It might also currently need it to install the system-wide hook that injects the code into the browsers but that may be user-specific already.

Admin rights are also needed for talking to the dummynet driver and setting the traffic-shaping parameters which is pretty key.

As a result the exe has a manifest asking for admin rights which is why you get the prompt.

Can you open a github issue to track it?

I can take a shot but things will be incrementally broken until alternatives land. Most notably, traffic-shaping will be broken the longest until I build the new traffic-shaper driver I'm planning on creating. It may also be possible to integrate with tsproxy which is a user-mode python proxy for doing traffic-shaping. It's not as good as doing it at the packet level but it's a lot better than what dev tools provides.

Off the top of my head it will take:

- Another build target (wptuserdriver or something) that doesn't have the admin manifest setting
- wptupdate and wptwatchdog will need to be updated to know which version of wptdriver to re-launch
- Clearing cert caches, dns and IE caches will need to fail gracefully if they fail (they may already)
- The hack for disabling chrome's extension warning will need to create the symlink in a user-writable folder
- Build the dummynet replacement for traffic-shaping (needed anyway for Windows 10 and other systems - was planning on starting that later this month)
- Possibly integrate with tsproxy for no-rights installs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Standalone wptdriver.exe possible? - pmeenan - 08-18-2016 03:23 AM