Current time: 09-16-2019, 10:11 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
B rating for static content caching but no cache control headers sent?
07-26-2017, 08:00 AM
RE: B rating for static content caching but no cache control headers sent?
(07-25-2017 02:59 PM)diesel2 Wrote:  @GreenGecko, that went completely over my head, I must confess. Could you please explain a little bit more about what you meant?

The cache control header I quoted appears when I do the following:
Code:
curl -IL https://www.example.com

The html content of the page is dynamic, so should not be cached ( for example, same page logged in / out, random product selection, timestamp, code update ). It's the static stuff - css, js, woff, etc that can be cached locally. A full page cacher built into the application will take care of this, and reduce the server-side load, but still won't deliver the page with an expiry time in the future.

This is the core of why I really don't like services like CloudFlare - they have to proxy to the original server to get a current copy of the html so will always lengthen the TTFB.

There is one method - microcaching - that attempts to improve performance by holding a copy of the page for a minute or less, in the hope that it isn't wrong *that* often.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: B rating for static content caching but no cache control headers sent? - GreenGecko - 07-26-2017 08:00 AM