The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.10-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Current time: 12-14-2018, 03:29 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Byte Time grade is too strict in Simple Testing mode
09-29-2018, 06:23 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2018 04:13 AM by simevidas.)
First Byte Time grade is too strict in Simple Testing mode
I always use the Simple Testing tab when performing tests on WebPageTest. In order to get an A in First Byte Time, the web page needs to produce a value of ~1750 ms or lower. This is I think unattainable.

I’ve tested on a bunch of very fast websites, and the fastest web page I found got a C with a time of 2049 ms [1]. My own in-development website got an F with the time 2158 ms. I wouldn’t be surprised if 99.9% of websites get an F in Simple Testing mode.

Should this grading be adjusted? It’s not a very useful grade if all websites with a few exceptions get an F. It can even be discouraging. I suggests that ~1750 ms is raised in Simple Testing mode to a more attainable value that can realistically serve as a target for websites.

Edit: I’d like to clarify that when I say “Simple Testing mode,” I mean the default configuration, which includes the “Slow 3G” setting. I’ve tested with “Regular 3G,” and it is possible to get an A grade with it, so it’s really just the default, “Slow 3G,” that is causing the grading issue.

[1]: https://www.webpagetest.org/result/18092...12c46c68e/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
First Byte Time grade is too strict in Simple Testing mode - simevidas - 09-29-2018 06:23 AM