The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.10-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Current time: 12-19-2018, 12:53 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
W3C User Timing - Question & are there other ways to do this?
11-21-2018, 07:01 AM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2018 04:35 AM by chelvan.)
W3C User Timing - Question & are there other ways to do this?
Hi

I've read server articles on the W3C timing spec and the draft from W3C and am trying to get a better understanding of how it works. I know this is a basic question but I appreciate feedback on this as I'm trying to get our team to use User Timing.

Here are my questions:
In the W3C documentation it says "mark_above_the_fold" is
The time when all of the content in the visible viewport has been presented to the end-user as marked by the developer in their application.

1. I am assuming that this means the actual point in time when the content was fully visible to the user as opposed to when it loaded? I am confused after looking at tests of some sites -

My concern is that after looking at some tests, I'm confused by the User timing results - in this test there is a mark for HeaderAreaBegin and HeaderArea End. In looking at the times, then comparing it to the filmstrip, it seems there is a lag in the rendering - that is I would have assumed that the HeaderArea begin would have been later since there is nothing in the filmstrip until 1300.

https://www.webpagetest.org/video/compar...end=visual

Patrick Meenan's great article on this (link below) says "The library will record an aggregate "aft" time that is the point when everything that I consider critical as above-the-fold has loaded."

http://blog.patrickmeenan.com/2013/07/me...ience.html

So I'm now wondering if the marks just mean loaded as opposed to when it is displayed, which accounts for the lag time?

2. Mark placement - In looking at how these marks are constructed on various sites, I assume that if I want to know when a div section such as the header has begun to display, I put the first mark e.g. beginHeader at the beginning of the div - and conversely another mark endHeader at the end of the div?
3. Will the mark work if there are no images? We have a nav bar that has simply has a background in CSS (no image) and text. Does the timing mark know when the div begins to paint it is just has styling? I was just concerned since there are no images.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
W3C User Timing - Question & are there other ways to do this? - chelvan - 11-21-2018 07:01 AM