The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Current time: 11-16-2019, 12:48 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inconsistent results? Testing MySQL?
03-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Inconsistent results? Testing MySQL?
Hi guys,

Brand new to this forum, hello! One of the most important pages on my site is also one of the slowest loading:

http://www.datesphere.com/reviews/

I ran it through webpagetest and failed almost everything (I'm working on fixes! Will probably have more posts on that soon). I theorized that the biggest performance boost I could get would be from reducing MySQL queries on the page, so I created a second versions that uses static files (from an hourly cron job that does the necessary queries) to populate the page instead of MySQL queries:

http://www.datesphere.com/reviews/index2.php

I've re-run the test several times on both pages and it's about 50/50 whether the new versions beats the old one. Load times vary greatly on both (from about 7s to 12s) which I assume is a function of how busy the network is, but I would expect one version of the page to consistently outperform the other.

I can only conclude that reducing MySQL queries from 3 to 0 had no real effect on load speed (which seems really weird to me). Does anyone know of a way to get webpagetest (or another tool) to measure php / MySQL execution time? I just want to know if I'm helping anything at all by caching MySQL queries, and if so how to measure it.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks!

Chris
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Inconsistent results? Testing MySQL? - ckelly06 - 03-25-2011 09:42 AM