Current time: 02-18-2020, 07:40 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much do CDNs really help?
04-07-2011, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2011 10:43 AM by damoncloudflare.)
RE: How much do CDNs really help?
(04-06-2011 03:41 PM)ckelly06 Wrote:  Hi Damon,

I've asked my host (HostGator) about whitelisting IPs a couple times, and they said they did it, though they've been kind of "cagey" about it. I have no idea how to independently verify whether they actually did it.

Also, I think I may have caused the 502 errors by making changes without going into development mode (it's HARD to remember to do this; I'm used to being able to just make changes to my site). The problem is, once I start seeing them I don't know how to make them go away without shutting off CloudFlare altogether. Is there some way to quickly fix this if I accidentally make changes outside of development mode without shutting off CloudFlare?

Hi Kelly,

The CloudFlare ips should now be whitelisted across all of HostGator (I worked with their team last week to get this done). Please do let me know if you see any issues on that one.

A gateway error, if that's what you're getting, is generally a problem on our end. We have had a few issues in our San Jose datacenter that may be a contributing factor (if you're doing work around the time we had the issues). Going to dev mode should generally not trigger the 502...where are you located?

(04-07-2011 12:54 AM)pmeenan Wrote:  Oh, and as far as search engine traffic goes, Google has indicated that speed is a factor but a pretty small one for rankings. The bigger boost I would expect would come if your site was responding faster and their crawler could crawl more of your site in whatever time budget they have allocated per pass. You can probably verify by going into webmaster tools and looking at the crawl stats.

I agree with this one. While I don't consider myself an expert on SEO per se, my understanding is that domain values probably take precedent over speed alone (links, age of site, etc.).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
How much do CDNs really help? - ckelly06 - 04-06-2011, 12:06 PM
RE: How much do CDNs really help? - damoncloudflare - 04-07-2011 10:41 AM
RE: How much do CDNs really help? - Marvin - 04-11-2011, 08:43 AM