Current time: 11-14-2019, 06:34 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can my host's DNS outshine Amazon Route 53?
02-12-2012, 03:32 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2012 03:32 AM by robzilla.)
RE: How can my host's DNS outshine Amazon Route 53?
Thanks for the link, Patrick, I'd seen the thread but hadn't read through it all. The service mentioned in that discussion, however, gives results that vary quite wildly with each run, so I'm not sure what to think of it (I requested an account at Watchmouse several days ago, but they have yet to respond).

TTL is pretty much the same across the domains, and I'm only pointing the tests toward A records. Today's repetition of the test somewhat confirms the earlier results, though the difference between Amazon and Linode is a little less pronounced.

Would it make any sense to combine DNS Made Easy with other nameservers, e.g. those of Route 53 or Linode, for extra coverage, as it were? Or would that be pointless, considering that in most cases, DNS Made Easy trumps the others?

Quote:I've been consistently getting a latency of ~50ms for DNS lookups for my site according to webpagetest.org, for most places where my users are located. Is this considered a "good" number?

I would say so, yes. That's pretty much what I'm seeing on repeated lookups, and what I tend to consider an acceptable reponse.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How can my host's DNS outshine Amazon Route 53? - robzilla - 02-12-2012 03:32 AM