Current time: 08-04-2020, 10:30 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need to losslessly optimize large pngs. (5MB and bigger)
01-16-2014, 05:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2014 05:31 AM by robzilla.)
RE: Need to losslessly optimize large pngs. (5MB and bigger)
Sorry, I missed the intended use of these images on reading your post the first time.

I'm not discouraging you, I'm just saying you need to realize that compression is a time-consuming task, especially with images that are multiple megabytes in size. You just won't get around this being "too slow". Thankfully, as of version 3.1, PNGGauntlet does support parallel processing of images (one image per thread), which will reduce total compression time if you have a few threads to spare.

All APIs and web tools I'm aware of (kraken.io, PunyPNG, TinyPNG, smush.it, etc.) are either lossy or have file size limitations that won't work for you. If you want a GUI on Windows, I'd say PNGGauntlet with its parallel processing is probably best for the job.

Personally, I'd probably fire up a multi-core cloud server somewhere and have it crunch the images with the help of a wrapper that assigns a compression job to each core. That way, at least this won't bother you when you're using your PC for other tasks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need to losslessly optimize large pngs. (5MB and bigger) - robzilla - 01-16-2014 05:31 AM