Current time: 09-26-2020, 04:39 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow website; what's your take on this?
05-05-2014, 03:13 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2014 03:25 AM by Anton Chigurh.)
RE: Slow website; what's your take on this?
(05-04-2014 07:17 PM)JMTC Wrote:  Thanks for sharing that approach Anton. How do you deal with the incidental nature of WPT's test? For example, if you have made a website change, do you run a test every 10 minutes?
It's not as incidental as you might think. It's just real browsers that clear cache each time. After making a change the results are immediate, on the next test you run after the change.
Quote:For dynamic websites, where CF still relies on the host, I think you're right. But with caching everything while being on shared hosting, I think it helps. For me it's an easier and more cost-efficient option than using a dedicated server for a small website.
My common sense rule of thumb is: if your site is not optimized, CF doesn't help you. It can't possibly. And if it is, you don't need CF. And leveraging browser cache of static content is a snap for a small site on shared hosting, (or any site) just put my magic code for this in the .htaccess file. CF and other CDNs though, interfere with this and make it ineffective.

CF itself doesn't cache anything really - otherwise you wouldn't get their "we're sorry" splash page every time something goes wrong. You would get a cached version of your site and it never seems to happen. You've never seen that little CF message, "Cached version not available?" Why? Why is it not available? Why, when my host server is down, does CF go down too and with no cache? Because CF is a fraud.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Slow website; what's your take on this? - Anton Chigurh - 05-05-2014 03:13 AM