Current time: 12-05-2020, 12:27 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Start Render Time - What is blocking?
08-07-2014, 10:36 PM
RE: Late Start Render Time - What is blocking?
I think you're starting to get into the realm of the performance for the browser itself.

There are probably a couple of things going on:

1 - The video capture is every 100ms so it could have been anywhere between 0.601 and 0.700s.

2 - Browsers tend to try to conserve work and not paint too often (finding a balance can be difficult). As long as it has work to do (building the tree, applying styles, etc) it might decide to defer rendering for a little bit (I know Chrome has a escape on the tokenizer after doing 250ms of work for example - not sure about Firefox's logic).

3 - Actually drawing the content can sometimes take a significant amount of time and getting it to the GPU and out to the screen is also not trivial.

On top of that, for Chrome anyway, there is a bug that is in the process of getting fixed where a page with only external css in the head and no script tags holds off rendering for a lot longer than it should: http://crbug.com/401087

For the most part you are doing a lot of things right and it's really up to the browsers to find a better way to get as much of the content to the screen as early as possible without otherwise slowing down the user experience.

The one opportunity that I do see is that if you inline the above-the-fold CSS you could improve the start render pretty significantly (or at least give the browsers the chance to improve it).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Late Start Render Time - What is blocking? - pmeenan - 08-07-2014 10:36 PM