Current time: 09-20-2018, 01:57 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Image compression software
01-02-2018, 09:30 AM
RE: Best Image compression software
Fileoptimizer is a great (and free) tool that includes most of the good tools out there. It can optimize everything from jpgs to mp3s Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2018, 05:45 AM
(03-17-2017 09:15 PM)sertovs Wrote:  I just saw that yesterday Google announced a new jpeg encoding - Guetzli which produces JPEGs that are "35% smaller than currently available methods". It doesn't introduce a new file format (like WebP) so no browser support issues. Maybe it's worth checking out.

Guetzli compression is very compute intensive. So you'd need to ensure that the server that does this compression is powerful enough. It does have an advantage in that it results in a JPG image and hence should be decoded by all browsers without any special plugin.

Follow me on twitter: @rakshay
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2018, 09:55 AM
(01-03-2018 05:45 AM)akshayranganath Wrote:  
(03-17-2017 09:15 PM)sertovs Wrote:  I just saw that yesterday Google announced a new jpeg encoding - Guetzli which produces JPEGs that are "35% smaller than currently available methods". It doesn't introduce a new file format (like WebP) so no browser support issues. Maybe it's worth checking out.

Guetzli compression is very compute intensive. So you'd need to ensure that the server that does this compression is powerful enough. It does have an advantage in that it results in a JPG image and hence should be decoded by all browsers without any special plugin.

Trying to do it on a server would be your first mistake if you have thousands of images... or with images over 150 KB each.

To make sure your server doesn't kill itself, download a backup of the site and compress the images locally, then upload the files and choose "only if there is a difference in size".
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2018, 06:59 AM
I've successfully used several of the encoders mentioned above. For ease-of-use and excellence of results I standardized on IMAGIFY for all my CMS websites.

Imagify provide both online and WP plugins, and also, free and premium options. The premium cost is very, very low for the typical WP website image volume.

Check them out at https://imagify.io/
07-04-2018, 10:10 PM
I had a number of coworkers uploading badly optimized images, so I whipped up a quick tool for them to compress jpeg's using Guetzli. As mentioned by someone else it does take a bit of time to process them.

Try it out. https://www.jpegcrush.com